• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

gmc k2500 front drive shaft

jester

Reaction score
i have a 1997 gmc k2500 6.5td(of course),nv4500 5-speed, extended cab,extended box, steel front drive shaft and it is completely shot. does anyone know the difference between the auto and 5-speed front drive shaft? im not shure the difference in length between a 4l80e and mine. or are they the same and have the same u-joints? oh and my truck is the hd model with the full floater in the rear if that helps.

Providing you have an 8,600# GVWR (RPO C6P) -

Part Number for front axle with NV-4500 (RPO MW3): 26057963
Part Number for front axle with 4L80-E (RPO MT1): 26057959

I know the 4L80-E is a beast, it's huge, I would definitely say it's longer than the NV-4500. Given that the part numbers are different I'd say the shafts are different. Can you not rebuild it? Here's a breakdown:

FrontDriveshaft-1.jpg

no, cant rebuild, its completely pooched, the splines are so sloppy its not salvageable. the guy who i bought the truck from must have never greased it. and it is the 8600 gvwr. im trying to find one out here but its not easy. anyone got any good places to get one from?

Back