• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Glow Time Extender

RadioMan

Recruit
Reaction score
Until winter rolls in the ECM does a good job starting most of our trucks. But once Old Man Winter gets here it helps if you can extend the glow time a bit.
What I propose will allow the ECM to work as usual, but you can extend the time as you wish.
Relay is an Automotive Type DPDT (Double Pole Double Throw) 12 Volt coil.
Switch can either be a pushbutton or spring return toggle switch. A N.O. (Normally Open) switch of either type is the ticket here.
Wire can be about any flexable, stranded wire you might have that's 18, 16, or even 14 gauge. The smaller the number the larger the wire. The relay doesn't require much current at all, so small is OK.

I honestly don't know if putting 12 Volts right to the relay coil, and subsequently to the ECM Glow Controller output, will do any damage to the ECM --- I'm not experimenting on mine.
The relay just isolates the ECM from your switch.

NOT to take ANYTHING away from those that wish to supply power directly to the glow plugs, but I believe that this is cheap, simple, and works without having to use high current relays and the large wires required for them.

Attachments

• Manual GP Control.JPG
    Manual GP Control.JPG
    35.8 KB · Views: 37
ECM grounds the 12v glow contactor to energize it, so an added grounded switch in the control circuit won't damage anything - but, PCM will DTC when it sees inappropriate voltage on the glows, so nimble fingers is the order of the day................

Last edited:
One factor to consider, how much more will the tips heat up? Will they break off the same way the 06LBZ did??

Nope. The 6.5s are real trucks, not that Korean stuff... :D

Seriously, it depends on what kind of glow-plugs you have.

For our trucks, we recommend AC-60G or Bosch Duraterm - both are self-regulating plugs that will NOT burn up... you can extend the time as long as you want.

If you have AC-9Gs, get them OUT of there (actually, they're probably already burned up and broken off).. the AC-11Gs are much better, but don't have as much heat transfer and don't last as long.

I found a Bosch relay pdf at:

http://www.boschmotorsandcontrols.co...ais/relais.pdf

On that site they describe in great detail the micro and mini relays. One question on the attached picture. What's the difference between the three diagrams: S1, S2, and S3? I get that S1 is a SPST, and the other two are SPDTs but what's the thing on the left side of each diagram that parallels the trigger coil?

Attachments

• Relays two.jpg
    Relays two.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 9
I believe that the first 2 will. The third one would put any spike to ground as long as it's wired that way. Maybe someone else can chime in that knows for sure.

1rst two are for ac or non-computer circuits - diode is for dc circuits, will definitely keep REMF to ~ 0.6-3v (depending on diode-type), totally non-invasive to solid state drive circuitry

So, if all the circuit does is control lights, any of them would work? Also, could I just jump the trigger coil terminals with a diode still? My problem is I need these things as small as possible for my use - don't want a mounting tab and don't need the 87A terminal. Trying to keep it simple, the first circuit is the one I'm leaning toward for my application controlling high/lo beam lights.

Am I being stubborn and need a diode?

Back