• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Gear Lube - Grape Juice alternative??

WilliamBos

Serial Post Whore in the making...
Reaction score
Hi All,

Wanna swap out rear/ front gear lubes before winter. What can I use that meets or exceeds spec? What is the best way to clean out rear pumpkin before putting rear cover back on? Brake cleaner??

Rear is G80, and front is standard front diff I guess. Is their a vent plug or something that has to be changed for different types of front fluid?

I have Amsoil 75w-90 Severe Gear in the Front & Rear on my Truck.

To Change the Front Fluid, you def. wanna get a Pump for when you put the New Fluid back in.

Amsoil Sells the Pump, it's on their Website.

I have Amsoil 75w-90 Severe Gear in the Front & Rear on my Truck.

To Change the Front Fluid, you def. wanna get a Pump for when you put the New Fluid back in.

Amsoil Sells the Pump, it's on their Website.

Thanks.

This pump??

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/g2039.aspx

What about the green plug/white plug that I read about on here? Or is that for the HD trucks only?

Do I need an additive to go in wit the oil for the G80??

Thanks.

This pump??

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/g2039.aspx

What about the green plug/white plug that I read about on here? Or is that for the HD trucks only?

Do I need an additive to go in wit the oil for the G80??

Yep, that's the Pump.

Don't know about what Plugs you are referring to? Link?

Nope, you can just fill up the Front & Rear. No Additive is needed.

Yep, that's the Pump.

Don't know about what Plugs you are referring to? Link?

Nope, you can just fill up the Front & Rear. No Additive is needed.

The vent cap on the front diff, that was supposed to be changed to a different colour if you used another type of fluid??

Should I spray out the rear diff, while I have the cover off, or just let it drain real good?

The vent cap on the front diff, that was supposed to be changed to a different colour if you used another type of fluid??

Should I spray out the rear diff, while I have the cover off, or just let it drain real good?

Ha, never Heard of that with the Vent Cap. I didn't Change mine and it Runs fine.

Nah, just let it all Drip & Drain out good and you'll be all Set.

i know what you are referring to with the vent cap. if switching from standard to synthetic, it has been recommended to change out to a white vent cap. i have talked with multiple people about this, and all say it is not needed. i have had no issues to date, but i do think that i need to clean it, because it is acting like it is blocked, and pushing fluid out of where the axle shafts bolt to the diff housing

I would not recommend brake cleaner, if you like, you can "flush" some cheap gear oil through to make sure you get all of the nasties out.

If you are considering Amsoil products, shoot me a pm and I'll help in any way I can.

i know what you are referring to with the vent cap. if switching from standard to synthetic, it has been recommended to change out to a white vent cap. i have talked with multiple people about this, and all say it is not needed. i have had no issues to date, but i do think that i need to clean it, because it is acting like it is blocked, and pushing fluid out of where the axle shafts bolt to the diff housing

And where is the vent cap located?? When I checked the front diff, I pulled the fill plug, and after a few seconds, it started to drip out. Is that what I want? Or should it pour out?

We added 1/2 litre to the rear, no leaks. It has never been changed, so is that consumption normal? Truck has 88,000 miles on it.

And where is the vent cap located?? the cap is somewhere behind the driver inner fender-well. i stumbled acrossed it when i was doing my head gaskets. When I checked the front diff, I pulled the drain plug, and after a few seconds, it started to drip out. Is that what I want? Or should it pour out? to me that sounds like the cap is blocked. mine did that when i last changed it, then i loosened the fill plug and it came pouring out like it should.

We added 1/2 litre to the rear, no leaks. It has never been changed, so is that consumption normal? Truck has 88,000 miles on it.

Back