• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

gas vs. diesel ?

devildogadam

Reaction score
can someone explain to me what the difference is between a diesel lift pump and a gas lift pump. i am on a budget and my lift pump went out, i can find 130gph 14psi fuel pumps for a gas on ebay for $39 all day long but as far as a diesel pump everyone wants an arm and a leg for one of about the same or a little better preformance. i am just not smart enough to know why the gas pump wouldn't pump diesel just the same. can anyone tell me the difference.

Depends on the pump.

The biggest issue is a plunger pump is "flow on fail" meaning the rotary vane pump in the IP can still suck fuel through a failed plunger type lift pump and the engine continues to run. Like the WALBRO FRC-10, and the factory lift pump. Gasoline pumps are usually roller vane or rotary vane and fuel stops flowing when the pump quits. You will notice about 2 seconds later when the engine sputters and quits after the pump.

Diesel is now mixed with Biodiesel and can limit the life of older diesel lift pumps due to trace amounts of Methanol left in the biodiesel. I suggest a WALBRO FRC-10 LIFT PUMP from a supporting vendor. Trimmings are optional like the fittings, but, make life easier.

Gasoline pumps are designed for the lighter gasoline that diesel will drag the motor down on and can have seal issues on diesel/biodiesel. A Methanol rated pump is fine to run. The Methanol from Biodiesel can ruin brushes in fuel cooled motors.

Feel free to try a gasoline pump, but, make sure your AAA dues are paid up. Again, from my lift pump graveyard (Factory AC Delco, Autozone OEM type replacement Suckz, Mallory replaced brushes often, Carter rotary pump brushes trashed, Walbro...) I recommend the Walbro although they are not bullet proof. Walbro's have lasted me the longest.

Don't mind me, but I hate taking diesel baths from OEM lift pump failures and this is the reason better lift pumps are more expensive.

thank you war wagon, that was exactly what i was wondering. i have been asking why the cheaper pumps wont work with the diesel and no one could answer it. they understood what i was asking but the only answer they could come up with was because the manufacturer said so, and i like to know the real reason. thanks again

Back