• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

FYI

gmctd

Diesels, Anonymous
Reaction score
Remembering lessons learned when lighting the ole BBQ pit\grill:

- add too much igniter fluid on barely lit coals and you get white vapors = too much fuel lowers temperature below combustion level, fuel never reaches ignition temperature but is above vapor point temperature

- add too much igniter fluid on fiercely-glowing coals and you get black sooty vapors = too much fuel not enuff oxygen, flame goes out, sooty un-burned fuel vapors

- add water where coals are too hot, burning the feast - reduces temperature = white steam vapors

So, in a heat ignition engine, which you got one of:

Black sooty smoke = water in fuel, where you have combustion but water douses flame B4 all fuel\oxygen is consumed

Black sooty smoke = too much fuel, where not enuff oxygen and flame goes out, but fuel was above combustion temperature

White vapors = fall\winter\spring = cold ambients, cold fuel, cold engine, not enuff heat for combustion, maybe too much advance = normal for cold clymes

White vapors = too much injection advance, where not enuff heat for combustion and early fuel further cools cylinder temps, some fuel never reaching ignition temps

Really bad symptoms: engine coolant leak into cylinder\exhaust, resulting in steam = white vapors, very stinky exhaust

Last edited:
gmctd.. really enjoy reading your inputs...it is at the end of the day, down to basic`s, that are very easily long forgotten, thank`s for a reminder....

add lighter fluid to already-lit coals sometimes = KA-Boom... don't ask me how I know that

add lighter fluid to already-lit coals sometimes = KA-Boom... don't ask me how I know that

Hm....childhood memories are coming back, like the one from when i was spraying wd40 in the grill pretending it was a blow torch and dad walking outside so i threw it in the grill to hide it, instant he shuts the door going back into the house KABOOM!!!!! grill blows up, he never found out either ):h

I should be dead ;)

Yep... it's like tossing a spray can into the trash barrel... if it doesn't blow up inside of 30 seconds, you start getting this overwhelming urge to just have a peek over the edge.

Must be a Darwin thing.

Well, I know blowing on a burning can of Gasoline doesn't help putting it out! No Facial hair left! :eek:
As for the spray bomb in the burn barrel. Doesn't help if you don't know what's in the garbage! HS!
:iamwithstupid:

Back