• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Fuel Tank Linings

MAGNUM SERVICES

Intelligence Guided By Experience
Reaction score
I purchased my truck in 2000, it is all Factory except for the following, IP was replaced back in 2005, the lift pump back in 2008 (with a fuel pressure gauge mounted under the hood which shows 6 psi at idle) the tank/sending unit/fuel lines and the PMD (with a number 9 resistor) on a Heat Sink under the front bumper back in 2009. The only additives I have ever used are Power Service Cetane Boost and Klean Diesel in with no problems from 2000 when I purchased the truck. I replaced my fuel Tank back in 2008 as the truck was "miss firing" under load and it was suggested that I might have contamination in my tank. Upon removing my Factory tank it looked like someone was dropping strips of aluminum foil into my tank which turned out to be the lining after full inspection of the tank. The replacement tank is steel and was purchased at Advance auto and has worked fine up until a month ago, now the Truck has the same symptoms it did in 2008, No Codes, No lights on the Instrument Panel, just "miss firing" under load. I replaced the fuel filter a month ago and the truck runs fine AFTER fueling but as the fuel level gets low it starts "miss firing" again or will quit. I have yet to drop the tank but my Main Questions are: (1) Is ANYBODY having issues like mine? (2) Is this caused by the Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel? I drive Big Trucks for a National company and we have not had any issues like this with our Trucks which have Aluminum fuel Tanks.

What did you use for a tank sock? I don't run one. Aftermarket socks do not have the bypass valve in them. Check for plugged screens before the lift pump or in it if it is a Walbro or non-factory type. What is the PSI at the water drain? How does a sample of the fuel look and smell? Gasoline smell or water in it?

6 PSI at the water drain, I am pretty sure the replacement Sending Unit had a sock on it but can't remember since it was replaced in 2008,fuel looks and smells like it always does, I will check for clogged screens at the lift pump. Thanks for the reply!

Back