• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Fuel Filter goes from 60% to 0%

12ga diesel

Jack of all, Master of none
Reaction score
Coming into work this morning, going about 45 mph I go to pass some one when the road opens up to 4 lanes and as I roll into the throttle, the RPM's rose slightly, then went way down. After about 2 seconds or so, the engine power came back and was able to make the pass. As soon as that happened, I got "Change Fuel Filter" on the DIC. When I got to work I cycled through the options and the fuel filter gauge was at 0%. I happened to check it a couple of days ago and it was at 60%. I have 5400 miles on the truck and filter. Bought the truck about 5 weeks ago and the fuel filter gauge was at 99% when I left the dealership. I am guessing I will need to change the fuel filter this weekend but am wondering why this would happen. I have been using regular #2 diesel with the silver bottle of power service the first handful of tanks of fuel and have started with the winter blend of power service (white bottle) in the last couple of weeks as it has got a little colder here. I try to stay away from the bio diesel as I have heard that it will shorten the life of a fuel filter and is not the best for running during wintertime (easier to gel). Might have ran about 4-5 tanks of fuel that came from a pump that had the sticker on it showing that the fuel can have 5%-20% bio fuel in it. I also get fuel at mainly two stations that have plenty of semi and construction truck traffic, so I think I can take getting a tank or two of bad fuel out of the equation, but still not sure. I have tried to list anything that would be brought up on why this would happen. Thanks for any help.

It sure sounds like something clogged you up. You either got a bad batch of fuel or some kind of an electronic hiccup.

I don't have an LMM with the fuel filter minder, but would be curious to see what the inside of that fuel filter looks like when you swap it out. I changed my fuel filter out every 10k before I added the lift pump with auxillary filters, and usually had plenty of filter life left at each change.

Picked up a NAPA Gold fuel filter and will cut open the old one when I get it off to see just how bad it looks. Hopefully that is the answer.

Back