• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Front Diff Vent hose.

Matt Bachand

Depends on the 6.5
Reaction score
Mine has the old soft rubber look/feel to it and its going to replaced.

Get some Hydrualic Hose?

Anyhow, is there a type of checkvalve in here?

How does the system work? Does it keep a vacuum in there?

Thanks guys!

Check valve should be on the end of the hose unless GM is different. Just use some heater hose or something similar.

Check valve should be on the end of the hose unless GM is different. Just use some heater hose or something similar.

I should be able to blow out of the diff, and not into the diff? Heater hose wont break down from synthetic gear oil??

Should go both ways to allow for expansion and contraction of gases, oil shouldn't get in the hoses unless pressure builds, only vapors.

If your interested Matt, check out Purple Cranium Products. They sell a killer diff vent tube thats good for ANY conditions. Off and on road, snow, mud, rain, rock crawling. You name it. It also filters the air as its coming and going from the diff so your not sucking crap into your diff.

The diff tube is like a road draft tube used on the older diesels. It maintains equal pressure between the sealed inside and atmospheric pressure. Helps keep the oil inside your diff and not leaking past the seals. I have to replace mine as well, it has that... "old soft rubber not gonna last much longer" look to it as well.

Not to my knowledge it doesn't. Most people don't even know its there, let alone what its actually for. I've never heard of problems with synthetic oil and the diff vent hose.

Look at it this way. The purpose of the diff breather is to equalize pressure between inside and outside of the differential. To avoid pressure building up inside and blowing oil past the seals. The purpose of the hose is to extend where the diff "breaths" to a higher point above the fitting that has been threaded into the top of the diff. Should your hose "come off" or "disintegrate" because of age or hell even the slight chance that synthetic will eat away at it(doubt it), the diff can still breathe.

Basically, even if the hose falls off, or gets eaten up by synthetic, the only time it will become a threat is if your going offroading or crossing through water that will be higher than the top of the diff. Plus, the hose really only see's vapors and fresh air, it never come in direct contact with the oil churning around. Maybe a splash here and there from everything moving around inside but that's about it. If your hose is full of oil, thats a whole nother problem :rofl:

Back