• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Free bucket truck

Bucket Truck guy

Reaction score
A friend had a two story log house. He had a bucket truck so he could maintain it. When he sold his house, he was going to give the truck to the buyer. Found out buyer didn't want it. So, he gave it to me. First, I had to replace brake master cylinder. Twice. First one popped a hole in the rubber inside the master. With this truck, there is a hydraulic control to lock the brakes. You have to pump the pedal five times, as a safety measure to operate the bucket. If you pump too hard, it turns the lip on the rubber. Then, I had to have the main cylinder in the hoist repaired. Too heavy and dangerous for me to mess with. $1,000. Then had to replace the flex lines on the brakes. Right front was crimped and truck pulled to left. Someone wasn't careful when doing brake work. Let it hang from hose. Next, the extension cylinder on the hoist started leaking. Another $1,000. So my wife corrects me when I brag about my free bucket truck. 6.5 diesel, dual rear end, 3500HD. 1994. Now, clutch is giving me grief. Acts like it is not disengaged when pressed to the floor. Either pilot bearing, throw out fork or something. The problem is intermittent. But I'm going to have to drop the trans to see. Oh, and solenoid clicks, but starter doesn't move intermittently. I hate when that happens. Either break, or work dammit.

Welcome to the forum BTG.
It seems that You pretty much have the BT under control as far as repairs and doing the maintenance.
You might could let the wife know how much You have saved by owning this truck by doing Your own work, that alone will off set whats been spent in components. LOL :cat:

Thanks guys. My wife is pretty understanding. I bought a dump trailer for her a few years ago. Put it on the front lawn and didn't say anything to her about it. Later, the next morning, I asked her if she noticed anything. She said yes, what is it? I said it's a dump trailer you need to fetch compost and stuff for your garden and gravel for your patio area. She was kind of neutral about it, till I told her she didn't have to go to the dump with me anymore to unload my flat bed trailer. That made her very happy. She loves that thing now.

Now she thinks I need to build a new garage in addition to the two car garage we already have. Not saying I manipulate her. Really. But I mentioned that if I built another two car garage, I could add an art room over the garage. She could leave out her oil paints, easels, knitting, etc. Actually, I have so much crap in our existing garage that she wanted me to build another anyway. She can't get her car into it anymore. One day I'll tell you about the radial arm saw. Pretty funny.

Just got a vintage transmission jack. Really well built, but uses gears instead of hydraulics. So it can't bleed down. Going to pull the trans back so I can see what's hanging up. Another article said something about the throwout bearing fork bending. Hope that's it. Would just have to weld reinforcements as the other poster did. Sorry, don't remember who posted that, but pretty good idea.

Just got a vintage transmission jack. Really well built, but uses gears instead of hydraulics. So it can't bleed down. Going to pull the trans back so I can see what's hanging up. Another article said something about the throwout bearing fork bending. Hope that's it. Would just have to weld reinforcements as the other poster did. Sorry, don't remember who posted that, but pretty good idea.
Twisted steel performance, Chris.

Now she thinks I need to build a new garage in addition to the two car garage we already have. Not saying I manipulate her. Really. But I mentioned that if I built another two car garage, I could add an art room over the garage. She could leave out her oil paints, easels, knitting, etc. Actually, I have so much crap in our existing garage that she wanted me to build another anyway. She can't get her car into it anymore. One day I'll tell you about the radial arm saw. Pretty funny.
Fix up the current garage for her supplies, new garage for the stinky meching stuff. That way the fumes and exhaust wont stink up her supplies.
Or, plan B, stink up her stuff in the new garage, then mention that another new garage for working on the wehicles in would eliminate that problem. 🤷‍♂️😹

One day I found an ad for a radial arm saw. $50. So I was getting into my Suburban to go get it. My wife pulled up in her car and said "Where are you going?" I said "To get a tool" She says OK.

Fast forward to a couple of weeks later. She asks me "What's that in the garage?" I say, "What?" She says "The big thing covered up and hidden." I say Oh, that, it's a radial arm saw. She says "When did you get that?" I say, Oh a couple of weeks ago. She says "Well, you never told me." So I said yes I did, remember I was getting into the Suburban and you asked me where I was going and I said to get a tool? That's the tool. And you said OK. She took it in good humor.

Having a reasonable wife is a wonderful thing!
Yeah, for Me its not worth the hassle of telling Her that I would like this, or that, part for the truck. I have found it is much easier to ask forgivness than to listen to the permission excuses for not doing it. We dont have a lot of money but, we aint so broke that a couple hundred bucks in a month or two is going to send us to the poor farm.

Back