• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

FRC-10 fuel pump self priming? prefilter question?

schiker

Reaction score
Is the Walbro FRC-10 a self priming pump? Can you just take out the OE LP use your bypass fittings mount, plumb, and wire the FRC-10 then bleed the OE filter manager like you changed the OE LP or filter? And expect the FRC-10 to pull fuel from tank by itself - self prime? Or would I have to maybe use an air hose and rags to pressurize the tank to get fuel to the new pump?

If I install a pre LP filter (probably a Racor as I want a clear bowl bottom type) should I add some cut offs so diesel doesn't drain back out and I just spill the little bit in the filter.

And then will the LP reprime each time like the first paragraph question and bleed the prefilter with self prime?

Pump will self prime, BUT I like to help it out the first time. Like you said sfuff a rag in filler neck and blow very light air into tank. It will help to losen FFM air bleed.
Pump will allways prime right up after first time.
A valve can help reduce the mess when changing the filter.

BUT I like to help it out the first time. Like you said sfuff a rag in filler neck and blow very light air into tank. It will help to losen FFM air bleed.
Pump will allways prime right up after first time.

I guess the least messiest way would be after plumbing it then open the water drain and lightly pressurize the tank until fuel flows out the water drain. Its easy to put the water drain hose in a bottle. Not as easy and secure to attach a hose to air bleed valve.

Once fuel flows shut off the water drain then a quick check to burp any air at the FFM air bleed valve. The air bleed valve I usually swaddle surround the FFM with rags and let it burp out the air bleed valve.

The Walbro will self prime. Spray some WD40 in it through the outlet to lube it up the 1st time and it will pull fuel through completely dry lines.

If you have a pump that is loosing prime suspect a plugged tank sock.
The prefilter screen in the walbro does a decent enough job. You don't want to get too crazy with filters before the lift pump because lift pumps don't suck. (In fact too much prefilter will pulse the line pressure like crazy as the system goes into a vacuum while the lift pump pulses on the intake stroke.)

The Walbro can and will eat a lot of dirt before failure so it doesn't need a lot of filter. Put the filters after the pump and a course trash screen before it. Loose the tank sock if you ever drop the tank.

Back