• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Ford 4000 diesel

JohnnyT

Reaction score
I have an old Ford 4000 that wasn't running well and I changed the fuel filters to see if that was the problem. Didn't work then I thought the fuel may have gone bad( how long can diesel fuel sit before gelling??) but when I unpluged the the drain at the bottom of the tank it only dripped out slowly. Is there some sort of filter sock in the tank and is it replaceable or am I looking for a new tank??

I added some diesel 911 to it but it really didn't make any difference. I suppose I need to check the fuel lines to be sure whatever is in the tank hasn't spread. I don't want all that gunk in the engine.

I think you're gonna have to pull the tank, drain it and flush it out.
Blow out the lines while you're at it.

They make a supplement for algae issues. Power Service makes it, I believe it is Diesel Kleen.

Rust and crud more than likely algae maybe too. I had a stoppage on my 3000.

Blow back through the line with compressed air and use some diesel treatment. Diesel 911 I thought was for gelling and water mostly which is not really gonna help in this case.

Its just a gravity flow system (and no sock I think - the petcock/drain sits higher than tank bottom so not all sediment will go down line). Take the line off at the filter and blow back through it into the tank. And or take line off at tank and blow back into tank to clean out the shut off valve. As an overall check take the line off at the IP and see if you get good flow after you blow back through the lines and see if the fuel is clear (catch a little in a glass jar and let it sit).

You might have to bleed the injectors if it starved for fuel and got some air in one or more injector lines. Mine revved up and surged then cut off and would not crank basically like it ran out of fuel and I had to bleed injectors.

X2 on the above about injector bleeding. Ive found that the fords are a bitch to prime if you have to do fuel system work. Start first at the filters then to the tiny bleed screw on the injection pump, and next move to your injectors.

As for a tank sock, i believe it does have one. I think it was a wire mesh material, but it is attached to the tank shutoff and sits vertically. Now i know this was the case on our 445 and my 3000, and these tractors are all very similar, so im guessing yours has it too. I would suggest having the tank boiled out and the rest of the lines flushed as well. Once you dig into it, you might as well go all the way and make sure everything is clean. Good luck and keep us posted....

so after all this time I finally got around to fixing the old girl. I replaced both filters and the filter assembly (was letting air into the lines) then I took off all the lines on the injection pump and blew them out and that was very annoying let me tell you. The worst part was when I thought I was finished and I bled the injectors one at a time working my way from 3 2 1 and got it crank but then I spotted a fuel leak. The return line between 3 and 2 had a huge crack in it I guess from sitting so long the leak was OUTA control! but luckily I noticed so back to the store and those lines are hard to find so I just got some fuel line for the time being. but now when I crank her it will die in a minute then I have to bleed again I am thinking I need to replace all the return lines they are all suspect...:mad2:

I have a 59 Power Major, I ran it out of fuel once and it took awhile to get the air out. My cousin used to work in an injection shop and he said sometimes the Simms pump will get an air bubble that won't pass.

Replacing the lines is probably a good move.

you can click on them to make them larger I think or is that just on my computer? they were uploaded at 4000 something resolution does the website make them smaller?

It is an aftermarket the other one had 2 metal sediment bowls this has a metal and glass one. The one before broke the spokes inside the bowl that held the filter on and let alot of air in.

I have a 59 Power Major, I ran it out of fuel once and it took awhile to get the air out. My cousin used to work in an injection shop and he said sometimes the Simms pump will get an air bubble that won't pass.

Replacing the lines is probably a good move.
That was my only tractor back in Europe, never gave a problem but a head gasket once.

Back