• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

flywheel for NV4500

nick94

Reaction score
Ok, I am installing a 96 NV4500 on my 94 truck. Should i use the 94 or 96 flywheel. I always thought the flywheel were balanced to the engine? Any advise will be appreciated.:mad2:

I thought 94 was Dual Mass Flywheel. 96 is iffy DMF or solid flywheel depending on build date. The flywheel should be balanced itself. I have replaced with new flywheels w/o balancing. I don't think they are match balanced.

I think you just make sure the components work together the clutch disc, pressure plate, flywheel, slave, and throw out bearing etc .

I thought 94 was Dual Mass Flywheel. 96 is iffy DMF or solid flywheel depending on build date. The flywheel should be balanced itself. I have replaced with new flywheels w/o balancing. I don't think they are match balanced.

I think you just make sure the components work together the clutch disc, pressure plate, flywheel, slave, and throw out bearing etc .

My ttruck is currently automatic but I am converting to standard.

94 was originally dual mass flywheel. But I run a solid flywheel now, a lot cheaper and I have 30,000 on my flywheel with no problems. Flywheels are balanced from manufacturer.

our 92 HD has been converted to solid. judging by the gear rattle, so has my 95 GMC.

I believe mid 95 is when they started to shift over IIRC.

I don't see any reason why you couldn't use the complete setup in your truck, other than you will hate the internal slave when its time to work on it, I like the 95 and older setup.

I would stay away form the dual mass........When I converted mine I put a single on the 94 with the internal slave. Never had any issue with those parts.

Had pressure plate come apart but that is a different story.

I converted my 1993 dually 6.5 from a automatic to a manual transmission. It was not very hard. It took around 25 hours and that included changing the steering column and everything over so the truck looked as if it came from the factory with a manual transmission.

Back