• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Fixxin to drop a new bullet in the rig. Couple Qs

mohawkmike82

Reaction score
My engine is currently using about a half a gallon of coolant per tank of fuel. Temp gauge is also dancing from 210-240. I believe I either have a cracked head or blown head gasket causing this.
Recently purchased a 98 1 ton stake bed (2wd) with a rebuilt engine that never got put back together.

I use my truck (in the sig) as a daily driver and to travel to ATV races up and down the east coast (GNCCs for those who care) I tow a 12x6 enclosed. I plan on doing the swap soon and have some questions for you pros.

-Anything to look for on this new engine before I do the swap? Pulled the pan and everything is ship shape like new.

-Can I simply swap the computer from the parts truck into my 96? Plan on ditching the EGR intake and possibly vac pump (keeping TM)

-I'd like to get the most power possible without an expensive tune or different turbo (I just ain't got the cash) Plan on FTB during the swap. Also plan on PMD relocate.

-Should I get a seat of the pants power gain switching from stock S code computer to stock F-code?

Any help is appreciated

My engine is currently using about a half a gallon of coolant per tank of fuel. Temp gauge is also dancing from 210-240. I believe I either have a cracked head or blown head gasket causing this.
Recently purchased a 98 1 ton stake bed (2wd) with a rebuilt engine that never got put back together.

I use my truck (in the sig) as a daily driver and to travel to ATV races up and down the east coast (GNCCs for those who care) I tow a 12x6 enclosed. I plan on doing the swap soon and have some questions for you pros.

-Anything to look for on this new engine before I do the swap? Pulled the pan and everything is ship shape like new.

-Can I simply swap the computer from the parts truck into my 96? Plan on ditching the EGR intake and possibly vac pump (keeping TM)

-I'd like to get the most power possible without an expensive tune or different turbo (I just ain't got the cash) Plan on FTB during the swap. Also plan on PMD relocate.

-Should I get a seat of the pants power gain switching from stock S code computer to stock F-code?

Any help is appreciated

There will be some seat of the pants improvement from the vin f. Changing your computer is worth a try but it usually doesn't work right because the vin # doesnt match. A reflash is your best bet honestly but a TM, vin f, k 47 intake, and 4in exhaust is better than nothing.

You will run into some problems with a computer swap, in many cases it can be done.

Your trucks will have different gear ratios and one is 4x4 and the other is 2wd.

Thanks for the input guys. I may just bite the bullet and get a tune then. For what I'm doing, (daily driving & towing) can anyone suggest a good tune? Any forum discounts etc?

Give Walking J Designs a PM

I think he sells tunes from Kojo and Heath.

Back