• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Fence charger trouble

Twisted Steel Performance

Anything worth doing is worth overdoing.
Reaction score
OK, This is going to sound a little strange me thinks but here is my trouble...

I have used a "Kencove" fence charger for several years, the 13joule model with the remote ...

Everything has worked great up until a few weeks ago, I have had a red light, Ground issue, I have checked the fence foot by foot, can't find anything wrong or grounded ..

I have a electrical wire buried that plugs in under the house to a plug in, and I have 5 - 8ft ground rods on the charger ground line..

I am doing some home repairs getting ready for vinyl siding, the treated plywood I'm using is wet, we are very wet here, lots of ground moisture but I'm not working in puddles or anything like that, the charger is about 50 ft from where it's plugged in..

This morning I was on my knees using a air nail gun, I was leaning against the wet plywood I nailed up yesterday, my wrist twitched a bit, I figured it was from pounding a hammer all day yesterday... well everytime I touched the wet plywood it felt like that, I soon figured out it was a pulse just like the fence charger, sure enough when I unplugged the charger the pulse stopped...

What is going on here .....

Grounds, Grounds, and did we mention Grounds? 🤪

IMO I would start with the: "5 - 8ft ground rods on the charger ground line."

Something in the ground has changed like being wetter somewhere else, erosion away from a/several rod(s), etc. So you have a ground potential difference between some of the ground rods. You checked the positive side so a look at the ground side is next.

It also wouldn't hurt to check the building ground(s) for trouble. Esp. the ground from the charger outlet back to the "main power panel".

On thought: it's trying to get back to the charger from the ground rods, through the building, and through the 120v power wires, to maybe the building ground. You may have two problems: one with the building wires like a nail through the house neutral/ground wire into the plywood and a short in the fence charger itself to ground.

Back