• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Fair amount of oil in upper intake

Bison, that filter is there to prevent any contaminants from being drawn back into the crankcase (since the crankcase breather inhales and exhales).

The cotton gauze filters also do a fairly good job of catching some of the oil vapor (making less visible smoke at the end of the hose).

The only reasons really.

A plain hose would work too, -the filter just makes me more warm and fuzzy (regarding dirt and dust).

As a result of feeling warm and fuzzy about the filter on the end of my CDR hose, I have been sleeping better at night and have had more energy during the days at work. Because of my increased energy and productivity at work, my boss is going to increase my pay by 50% and let me only work 3 days a week. :icon_bs::wtf::cornut:

Dang

Now all bosses who's employee's own a 6.5 will have to install the filter once word gets out about increased productivity at work because of that one filter.

I will remember you when I have to increase my productivity or get a pay cut, all because of you and that filter:confused5:

Bison, that filter is there to prevent any contaminants from being drawn back into the crankcase (since the crankcase breather inhales and exhales).

The cotton gauze filters also do a fairly good job of catching some of the oil vapor (making less visible smoke at the end of the hose).

The only reasons really.

A plain hose would work too, -the filter just makes me more warm and fuzzy (regarding dirt and dust).

As a result of feeling warm and fuzzy about the filter on the end of my CDR hose, I have been sleeping better at night and have had more energy during the days at work. Because of my increased energy and productivity at work, my boss is going to increase my pay by 50% and let me only work 3 days a week. :icon_bs::wtf::cornut:
well i guess someone has a good day:yesnod:Now dont get to warm and fuzzy,might make you fall asleep behind the wheel,and that might make your truck a wee but shorter than you like. But since when does that breather inhale?when one piston goes up,other one comes down eh. Mebby you got one banger in there:seeya:

I better get to work and haul some hay.

But since when does that breather inhale?when one piston goes up,other one comes down eh. Mebby you got one banger in there:seeya:

You mean maybe I have a "clinton" engine, -and it doesn't inhale? :smilielol5:

In all seriousness bison, -it does "breathe" a little bit, -ever so slightly though. I seriously doubt the filter is really necessary, -considering the engine probably doesn't inhale enough to completely draw in the column of air/vapor that is in the hose. And besides, -the inside of the hose has an ever so slight film of oil on it to catch any dirt.

I had the filter, -therefore I figured what the heck. On the old engine that had 200k, the filter actually reduced the oil vapors by quite a bit. On a hot day after pulling a grade, -the dang thing would smoke out the breather quite bad, and the filter helped catch some of the vapor and kept the smoke down.

Necessary? -probably not on the new engine, -but it ain't gonna hurt anything by having it on there.

Slim, -don't tell your boss about your vented CDR! ;)

As the airbox on these old 2 stroke diesels is always presurized by the blower,oil coming out of the airbox drains are most likely due to leaking blower seals and not blowby

Yep. Called crankacse scavenged engine. Not 2 stroke detriot out there that doesn't leak oil somewhere.

Now an EGR is another of these hairbrained designs that defy logic, but nobody seems to oppose getting rid of that contraption.

Nope no opposition here at all. My only inquiry about this was possibly build up in the engine. I have no problem venting it to th outside if it will extend the life of my motor. I'll do a catch can if needed. Putting an EGR on these was extremely stupid but then so was designing a turbo deisel with no intercooler in the first place. We could go on for hours about design. Anyway I'm liking the idea of reroute. Just wanted to make sure I was not going to cause vapor buildup in the motor. I have worked on heavy diesels most of my life and of course none of them have any emissions stuff but these smaller light duty engines are a little bit different so just doing my homework before the re-plumbing.

Yep. Called crankacse scavenged engine. Not 2 stroke detriot out there that doesn't leak oil somewhere.
now Ace , i have to disagree with you again,dont hold it against me, but the 2 stroke detroits have the crankcase seperate from the intake airbox,dont know wether you ever had one apart? 10 or so yrs ago i rebuild a 4-71 and a 4-53,first one is in my cat,sec one in a tractor[see sig],and neither one leaks oil.

air enters the cylinders halfway trough a series of slots in the sleeves,and only if the pistons have uncovered them on the downstroke,on the way up the piston skirts cover the ports up,never exposing the crankcase once.even the wrist pins are covered by a disc pressed in the pistons.

I've worked on 6-71s and the bigger brothers EMD V-12s and they are all scavanged from the airbox with holes in the liner to let air in. My jet ski goes thru the crankcase. I will agree, however, that most detroits have oil coming out of something.

Yeah I also had and worked on and owned many v53s and 92s. I had a 6v53 blow the access cover right off the side of the block(think it came loose) and the engine would barely run. The blower ends up putting pressure in the crankcase even though as you said it's separate. Hence the many oil leaks. Detriot said it was normal for a 2 stroke to use 1 gal(IIRC) a week in oil brand new. I have rebuilt several detriots. I used to have the timing tools for the 6v53 but never really got it down good. Still had to have someone come and fine tune it. That's an art in itself. Only thing good about them is they were cheap to rebuild. Basically can't pass emissions anymore. Don't see many on the road but alot still in boats and older HE.

yeah they have blowby like any other engine,but thats wy there is that breather tube, but if the screen in it gets plugged over time the leaking starts.cheap relyable engines though but noisyyyyyyyyyyyyyy. my 4-53 had all 4 treaded plugs out the crankshaft oil gallery laying in the pan,still managed to build 3 psi oil pressure.

Oh yeah. Old school detriot will literally run until it either has so much blowby it pushes the oil out faster than you can put it in or it starts running away on it's own oil. I learned about detriots at a young age. My father had them in our oil trucks when I was still in high school. He had some idiot change the oil and the guy put multi grade 15/40 in it. You wanna talk about hearing a motor knock ?? Then the guy tells my father that it needs a new motor. I had the truck down by my ex GF fathers shop who was old school. He listened to it and said...kid you got the wrong oil in it. I changed the oil and the knocking was gone and the truck ran 10 more years. The 6v92T wasn't too bad. The turbo models were considerably quieter but we had a Louisville with a 6v53 NA and damn you could here it three blocks away. The crane I used to run had a 4v53 in it. Another noise box but the motor in the upper was worse. That had a Deutz. I had to wear ear protection both driving and operating the crane.

Back