• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Factory Brake Life

btfarm

America First!
Staff member
Lead Moderator
Reaction score
I do believe the last several years, the GM trucks have some great OEM brakes. I was doing maint. today, LOF and tire rotate. At nearly 115k miles I still have about 7/16" of front and 5/16" rear life left. I'm thinking I might just get 200k out of these if the calipers don't hang up in the meantime. I'm REAL easy on brakes and I do 95% of my driving is highway so your results may vary.

HaulinRV got over...I wanna say 286k miles on his factory brakes and they still had life left. This was on his 06 LBZ before he traded in.

Yeah, he went Cummins mainly for the engine and so he could get a reliable manual trans (clutch actually). Too bad he doesn't check in here any more. He had a number of good posts about towing.

Saqme here lots of pad left with 115K towing 5th wheel RV's etc. Only problem is a hotspot in the rotor that became a hard spot. Makes noise when going down the grapevine loaded at times when the brakes are really hot.

Its a shame the brakes out last hubs, shouldn't it be the other way around? :(

I've got 122K on my oem pads. The original brakes have come a long way in the last 10 years or so. I bought my truck with 66K on it, the previous owner used it to tow his 5th wheel camper. Now i use it like a race car. been driving the snot out of it for the last almost 60K and its lookin like i might get about150K or so out of em. Starting to get a serious vibration out of my rear rotors again when they get hot running to fire calls. I think its bout time for some drilled or slotted rotors:D

I have almost 100k miles on my vans brakes. The way I drive I am amazed they lasted this long.
I am changing to the same brake system on my 98 so I expect to get the same life on that truck as well. I have caliper brakets to use the dual piston calipers and slip off rotors off the 01 and up HD's on the front and rear. It will be a huge improvement over the older system I have been running

Back