• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Extended Warranty

My BIL found a great deal on an extra clean '08 dually with 86k miles. Clean service history to boot.

Do you think it would be worth it for him to get the extended warranty? Cost would be about 15/month.

Is it through GM? Just make sure you read the fine print.

My BIL found a great deal on an extra clean '08 dually with 86k miles. Clean service history to boot.

Do you think it would be worth it for him to get the extended warranty? Cost would be about 15/month.

I always have had the belief that anything that has any kind of computers or electronics, it's well worth an extended warranty. Anything I have bought that is in my house or in the garage (truck) I have bought an extended warranty. Electronics go out over time in anything, and with a truck or any veichle for that matter, there just seems to be too many moving parts on it for something to go wrong. I know I was more then happy when I needed my trans rebuild a couple months ago and it was covered under my ext. warranty. Without it I was looking at over $3500. With it... it cost me $100. Plus if he were to sell the truck before the warranty was up, I know for a fact that you can get the pro rated amount of the factory ext. warranty back.

Just my two cents.

If he gets an extended warranty, make sure it's a genuine GM warranty. They're the only ones that are actually somewhat worth it. Generally for the GM one you pay the whole thing up front, $2500 or so. However, IMO he'd be far better off putting that in a savings account or CD and gaining interest on it and using that to pay off any future expenses. The OEM warranty is 5yr/100k for the Powertrain, and anything else won't be very expensive to fix, all things considered. Just remember that these warranty companies wouldn't sell them if they were a good deal for the buyer. They make money of 95% of them, and the few repairs they have to pay for are a drop in the bucket compared to how much they rake in.

Back