• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Engine rebuild question, sitting on the stand for 15yrs

5akman

Reaction score
Ok, this is not a 6.5L specific question but should apply to any engine and I hope you guys can help.

Back in the early 90's I rebuilt an early 1970's SBC 400. I built it specifically for my jet boat, based on the hp/rpm chart provided by Berkeley Jet drive, it put out 410hp which is what the long rod 406 kit was suppossed to do. I pulled the engine after about 20hrs use as I was selling off the hull and wanted to keep the motor.

Its been on the stand now for about 15yrs. I'd like to install it in my '89 2500 that has a run out engine in it (this will make my 4th currently owned Chevy truck along with a 79 beater, 96 & 99 6.5's). Should I take the engine apart first to make sure rings are not stuck and stuff like that or just install and take my chances? Engine has been kept clean and I've sprayed WD40 in the cylinders and turned it a few degrees every year or so.

Thanks!

As long as it turns over I would just install it. You kept it oiled up so it should be OK.

Pull the Valve Covers and Buy a Pre-Oiler or make one out of a discarded Distributor without the cam gear and run it with a good powerful drill to oil the entire engine while turning it over via the front balancer and run the drill until oil comes out of all the rocker arms! Remove the Spark Plugs and oil the Cylinder walls to to help lubricate the rings!

I would change the gaskets, oil seals mainly, then drop it in. Easier to change them now then see how rotted they are from age.

X2 on prelube...

Back