• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Electric trailer brakes frozen up

06HD2500LLY

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
Reaction score
I left my toyhauler sit for a year and now my electric brakes are locked up. It was suggested to me that I get it on the pavement and drag it till it broke free but I was not sure if that was the smartest thing to do. Anyone ever have this issue with their electric brakes before? I dissconneced all power to the trailer just to rule out a short or a bad break away switch.

You could try rocking it back and forth to get them loose but it isn't the best. Your proably gonna have to start pulling the wheels off and get the drums off somehow so you can see what locked. Are all the wheels locked? Or just a few?

I'd suggest you pull the wheels and drums and clean it all out real good before you do anything else. Dragging it on the pavement might work but you run the risk of flat spotting your tires first.

You could try rocking it back and forth to get them loose but it isn't the best. Your proably gonna have to start pulling the wheels off and get the drums off somehow so you can see what locked. Are all the wheels locked? Or just a few?

I'd suggest you pull the wheels and drums and clean it all out real good before you do anything else. Dragging it on the pavement might work but you run the risk of flat spotting your tires first.
Thats what I'd do.If you do the rocking back and forth thing,do it very little and try and be gentle on it!

Well Im guessin the magnet is stuck to the drum or the pads have corroded on the drum. Either way it looks like it gotta pull all four tires off I guess. Seems easy enough when I looked at a couple vids.

not a bad idea to take the brake assembly apart and clean all the pivot points. If they are so frozen that you can't even move the trailer then there's a good chance they will stick again, or the other problem is the brakes won't work well because it's fighting the rust/corrosion at the pivot points.

They aren't that complicated but my guess is you will have to do some hammer work to get the drums off.

not a bad idea to take the brake assembly apart and clean all the pivot points. If they are so frozen that you can't even move the trailer then there's a good chance they will stick again, or the other problem is the brakes won't work well because it's fighting the rust/corrosion at the pivot points.

They aren't that complicated but my guess is you will have to do some hammer work to get the drums off.

Allready invested in a 5 pound sledge :sifone: . Thatll get er off! Thanks guys

good luck gettin them bastards off. I would try rockin it first then take them apart. And take the lil 5 pounder back and get a BFH if all esle fails.

Back