• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Duramileage is in!

peidson

Diesel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just installed my Duramileage custom tuned ECM and took it for a short test drive. It is pretty impressive for 65hp/100tq (better than the 65 hp Predator tune that I have been running). Now we will just have to see if the mpg gains are in there some where.

First impressions

I filled the truck up with fuel this morning and I have only driven the truck a little over 100 miles with the Duramilage installed so I can't say a whole lot about it yet.
Looking at the odometer and the fuel gauge, I am getting better fuel mileage than before, but it doesn't look like a 20% increase; more like a 10% increase. I still think it is way too early to tell one way or the other though. The DIC is definatly off. It is saying ~23 mpg; I think I am getting ~20. Acceleration is quite good. Turbo spools up quick. It smokes more than my Predator on 65 hp. The odometer registers exactly 1% too much compared to my GPS. I'm not sure if the DIC in a stock truck is any closer though.
I will be making a road trip from Alabama to Oklahoma on Monday and returning home on Friday so I will get a chance to see how it does on the open road. I am going to TRY to keep it at or below 70 mph on the way out (no way I can do it on the way home) to see just how good it will do. I'll keep you posted.
BTW, does anyone have an opinion on running the Boost Stick with this setup? I know it hurt my mpg's when I ran it with the Predator. I'm pretty sure that it will cut down on the smoke, but I don't know how it will affect the fuel mileage. I do not plan on using it for this trip, but I could always change my mind.

Well, I got 19.0 mpg on my trip out to Oklahoma. It was pretty windy all day and I drove through hard rain for the last 2 hours of the trip. That is a little better than I have gotten under conditions (18.0 mpg with stock tuning) in the past but a far cry from a 20% increase. The truck runs great and the tranny shifts as good as stock. The odometer is a little off though compared to my GPS. When I corrected for what the GPS indicated, I actually got 18.8 mpg. I don't have a lot of time now, but I will keep you posted.

The verdict is in

Well, I have put 2100 miles on the Duramileage ecm. During that time I have averaged 18.6 mpg. With stock and/or Predator 65/85 hp tuning under the same driving conditions I averaged 18.1 mpg. So ther is an improvement, but it is a far cry from a 20% increase. I am very disappointed to say the least. The power delivery is very good (especially dowm low), the shifts are smooth, and drivability is excellent. The mpg gains are just not there.
Definately no bang for teh buck on this one. I will be requesting a refund.

Well, I have put 2100 miles on the Duramileage ecm. During that time I have averaged 18.6 mpg. With stock and/or Predator 65/85 hp tuning under the same driving conditions I averaged 18.1 mpg. So ther is an improvement, but it is a far cry from a 20% increase. I am very disappointed to say the least. The power delivery is very good (especially dowm low), the shifts are smooth, and drivability is excellent. The mpg gains are just not there.

Well thats not good to hear. Thanks for being our Guinea pig. I just hope you are able to get a refund as easy as he makes it seem. The ECM you have is that your original that was flashed or is the ECM his that you purchased.

Let us know how everything works out. Cowdoc, have you considered EFI live and a good tune to compare for MPG's against your stock numbers? Reason asking, I got 21.9 MPG on the insterstate on my vaction trip this year.

I talked with Steve Shelley (the programmer) and he wants another shot at increasing my mileage. I said go ahead. What have I got to lose?

"Let us know how everything works out. Cowdoc, have you considered EFI live and a good tune to compare for MPG's against your stock numbers? Reason asking, I got 21.9 MPG on the insterstate on my vaction trip this year."

EFI is too complicated for me I'm afraid.

Well thats not good to hear. Thanks for being our Guinea pig. I just hope you are able to get a refund as easy as he makes it seem. The ECM you have is that your original that was flashed or is the ECM his that you purchased.

I purchased the ECM. He seems like a nice enough guy. He gave me the option of another calibration or my money back. We'll see how it goes.

I talked with Steve Shelley (the programmer) and he wants another shot at increasing my mileage. I said go ahead. What have I got to lose?

"Let us know how everything works out. Cowdoc, have you considered EFI live and a good tune to compare for MPG's against your stock numbers? Reason asking, I got 21.9 MPG on the insterstate on my vaction trip this year."

EFI is too complicated for me I'm afraid.

I purchased the ECM. He seems like a nice enough guy. He gave me the option of another calibration or my money back. We'll see how it goes.

Understandable. I agree it isn't for everyone.

That sounds like pretty darn good customer service. Keep us informed on how you make out.

its kind of tough getting extra fuel mileage from a big truck. i thought duramileage was a good solution, i guess not.

Back