• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Duramax LBZ Predator Vs. HyperPac

RYDNHI4X4

Halt Halt Or I'll Release My Dog
Reaction score
Written By: Unit453

As many of you know, I'm in the comparison mood all the time when it comes to programmers. Many of you also know that I'm not into drag racing or sled pulling, but I'm constantly in search of the best bang for the buck programmer for my LBZ. Many of you read my reviews on my LLY Hypertech vs Predator thread and again with the LBZ Predator- PPE thread. Well, I'm at it again...

Many thanks for those who sent it to me.

My thoughts and initial experiences:

First of all, I enjoy writing these for everyone here. I feel as if the members can get a lot out of it.

I recently installed in on my 07. I've been running Predator on 85 for the longest time. I also ran that on my 04 LLY after I ran Hypertech for a while. I was pretty excited to get my hands on this Hyperpac and try something new. I can’t leave well enough alone. My Predator's been absolutely flawless on two trucks so it’s hard for me not to recommend them to anyone looking for a modest power gain for $300.

I was looking forward to checking out Hypertech's real time data logging and digital gauges. I love stats so it’s interesting to me to see exactly what’s going on inside the engine. I'll be honest and say that having run Hypertech before on an older truck, I figured it would be exactly the same as it felt on that LLY. I've been familiar with Hypertech for years. I've run a programmer on every new vehicle I've ever owned. I've never had a problem with customer service either. My Ford is currently Hypertech tuned and has been for several years now. I just want to get out there that I'm familiar with their products.

Installation of the Hyperpac was one of the best parts. I love new gadgets. However, the mounting brackets were a nightmare to figure out. Maybe I'm just retarded, I don't know. It was a little confusing but we figured it out. I was looking for a dash mount. I guess they don't have one and the window suction cup is all you get. It's rather large to be sticking on the windshield in my opinion and is kind of bulky. You don't really have much choice in places to mount it. I also looked at right next to my pillar pods but it's too much of a blind spot in that corner. I'd be nice to have a way to mount it on the dash much like an aftermarket Sirius or XM display. Anyways I got it mounted, plugged it in, hid the wires and was on my way. I left the Predator tune in the truck to see what kind of numbers I's see along the way.

Running Predator using Hyperpac data monitoring:

Running at a consistent 70 mph on the interstate (I rarely speed) yielded EGT's of the following: (Predator tuned))

07 LBZ.................. 04.5 LLY............. Hyperpac tuned 07 LBZ
70=550 ................ 70=700................ 70=650
75=580 ................ 75=750 ............... 75=700
80=650................. 80=800................ 80=780
85=720................. 85=900................ 85=850
Max observed=900 (LBZ)(Empty) Max observed=900 (empty)

Now, I'm not sure why my EGT's are so low as compared to my last truck. I've enclosed a picture of my probe to show exactly where it's at.

Mileage LBZ Predator:........................ Mileage LBZ Hyperpac:
70=22.1 mpg........................................ 70=18.5 mpg
75=20.5 mpg........................................ 75=17.1 mpg
80=18.5 mpg........................................ 80=16.5 mpg
85=16.1 mpg........................................

Mileage around town with both tunes gives me exactly the same at 17.5 mpg.

Boost LBZ Predator:................... Boost LBZ Hyperpac:
70=4 psi............................................... 70=6 psi
75=5 psi............................................... 75=7 psi
80=6 psi............................................... 80=8 psi
85=7 psi............................................... Max boost=26 psi
Max boost=24 psi

The tune:

I loaded up the Hyperpac tune and drove it around for a month. I completely expected it to feel like my 04 LLY did when it was tuned. Lemme say that it does not, at all. It’s by far the smoothest tune I've ever run. (Having run Predator, Edge, Hypertech, and PPE) Those of you know how the predator makes the throttle feel. It’s very responsive and I like it. Hyperpac is similar but no where near as sensitive. I actually like it a lot. It’s got a very defined throttle position to where it fuels and starts to make boost. That defined throttle position makes my driving style a bit different. You only need a certain percentage throttle to make it start to shit and get. I didn’t expect it to feel as hot as it felt. It was stronger than I expected and breaks the tires loose in 1st, 2nd and 3rd. It smokes more than the Predator which I don’t mind.

So far, I've logged around 1500 miles on this Hyperpac and I'm learning to really like its translation of power. The defuel isn’t nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be as compared to my LLY. LLY's and LBZ's feel like totally different trucks, especially when tuned so there's no since comparing the tune to either. It’s got a steady pull from the second you romp on it until the second you get off it. The shifts are so smooth, you can’t tell its even shifting, at any throttle position. Turbo lag is virtually gone. I realized this recently when I needed to make a quick entrance to a roadway. Goosing it, it lurched forward with zero delay from the turbo. I think Hypertech did a great job in eliminating the turbo lag. Here it was that I was thinking after I traded in that GM engineers did a great job in eliminating the turbo lag on these LBZ's to begin with.

The real time data logging is cool. I like to see the different temps at any given speed. I couldn’t believe my intake air temp is within 8 or so degrees from the outside air temp. Yes, I've done the PPE air box mod by cutting out the fins. I didn’t use it to test out 0-60 times because mainly, I don’t care what those times are and I don’t like unnecessary beating on the truck. But it does allow you to test out quarter mile times, 0-60, and generate a dyno chart of your power numbers. I also plan to run this truck on the dyno to see what kind of numbers it puts down at the rollers to give some hard data as to exactly what it puts out.

I would highly recommend the Hyperpac. The tune's got balls and is similar to the Predator.
I assume the Max Energy is the same tune as the Hyperpac? I have no idea if it is or not. The Hyperpac is similar to the Edge display showing you boost, EGT, and a million other numbers. All you EFI junkies know what I'm talking about. I'm going to keep the truck tuned with it now since I like it so much.

I enjoyed the responses I got from my last two comparison threads and I write these to help our the members make a decision in buying a programmer. I want to let the "average Joe" like me, know what different tunes can offer them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice write up...I have the Predator and now have been using a Hypertech to see how it goes. I think the programming between the Hypertech and Hyperpac is the same?
It's been hard to tell the difference in mileage as these things are so subjective, but I can tell the difference in the loud pedal. The Predator feels very touchy (read aggressive) and the Hypertech is smooth all through the pedal. It's even hard to tell there's anything on there...just even response.

I wrote that last fall. He's bringing most of the good stuff over here.

Tuning between Hyperpac and Max Energy is the same.

you think it is???? I thought the max energy was not quite as potent as the hyper pac

ahhh...I know my truck did not like level 3 on the max energy...whole defueled shifts batman

Back