• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Dually tires

That's just it, I replaced front tires at 20,000 miles. Purposely did not haul a trailer and at 10,000 miles, visible wear, dealer says front end alignment is all,then had wire showing by 40,000. Just thinking there must be an out the box alignment answer. Thanks Steve
take the truck to an old school alignment shop where that is what they specialize in. explain the situation and let them have a good look at it. most of the old school shops that do "custom" alignments and deal with all kinds of problems will know where to look.

lots of dealerships nowadays are just "parts changers" and when it comes to an alignment, they only put it into spec of what the numbers say in the book for that particular vehicle, not looking at what might be causing the issues.

you might be able to try parking the truck wheels straight on a level slab, then use a short carpenters level. place the level on the slab to verify it's level at all 4 wheels. then check on the truck. across the top of the tailgate and on the dodge, pop the hood and set the level across the radiator support. if the truck is not level then you have a possible weak spring or worn bushings causing it to lean to one side. if all is level, then take the level to the front wheels, up n down check on the rims. see if the wheels are sitting up level (perfect 90 deg) on the slab. if not, then you have issues with the control arms, ball joints, or if it's got king pins ( your camber alignment) caster won't effect tire wear unless one is a lot more positive caster than the other.

also do a wheel center to center measurement to see if the wheels are the same measurement apart from each other on both sides of the truck. in another thread I had mentioned how to check toe alignment with a pair of jack stands and some string, this all will get you in the ball park and show you what might be misaligned. this info you can also mention to the alignment shop on the oddities you found.

edit: I forgot to mention worn front shocks can cause tire wear too.

The last guy was at a big rig place in okahumpka,fla. Says for sure he could fix it. Took it back to show wear, says, well,you got a dually,front tires wear. All he wanted was to put new tires on front. He got me. Plus, it's called the truck stop, how funny.thanks steve

Welding something on the front end doesn't sound good! you might want to crawl under there and see what was done or take it to a reputable shop at least for an opinion. sounds like something was modified that could be dangerous.

Well,ram had a recall,steering link or something it's been a few years,when front end alignment s get done,I mention it and nobody says it's a problem. 2nd set of back tires, 4th set of front tires, 98 thou miles or so. 6 front end alignment s,. Last 3 by, nobody but me knows how to set ram front end, can't do it to ram specs cause they're wrong , those guys..!!!

I know my 99 Ram 1500 eats tires too. I have not put a "new" set on it in several years for that reason. have always installed used tires since I don't expect them to last very long. could it possibly be all rams in general have this sort of issue? mine is a run of the mill 2wd pickup.

maybe one of us can find this recall info and see if it's something that applies to these style suspension systems they used!.

this past weekend after I got it on the road, had another set of really nice used 225/75/16 tires installed (factory size) I did my version of a redneck alignment using a set of jack stands, some string, and a short carpenters level to set the front camber and toe. adjusted everything straight and level. been driving it all week to work but I am finding that the front wheels have to be cocked slightly to the left for it to drive straight down the road! not pulling on it's own to ether side, but the front wheels just sit that way! I check the rear axle to make sure it was square with the frame. it looks to be square, as I used the rear wheels to align the front wheels rather than going off from the frame.

I know my 99 Ram 1500 eats tires too. I have not put a "new" set on it in several years for that reason. have always installed used tires since I don't expect them to last very long. could it possibly be all rams in general have this sort of issue? mine is a run of the mill 2wd pickup.

maybe one of us can find this recall info and see if it's something that applies to these style suspension systems they used!.

this past weekend after I got it on the road, had another set of really nice used 225/75/16 tires installed (factory size) I did my version of a redneck alignment using a set of jack stands, some string, and a short carpenters level to set the front camber and toe. adjusted everything straight and level. been driving it all week to work but I am finding that the front wheels have to be cocked slightly to the left for it to drive straight down the road! not pulling on it's own to ether side, but the front wheels just sit that way! I check the rear axle to make sure it was square with the frame. it looks to be square, as I used the rear wheels to align the front wheels rather than going off from the frame.
If it does not pull to either side, just the steer wheel is sort of not straight with the rest of its world, that is adjusted with the links that sets toe in.
When I do suspension or front end work, the steer wheel most always will not be centered. I take it to the align shop, they have yet to charge Me for checking align and centering the steer wheel.

Oh Yeah, My nephew, He had a Dodge Lamb diesel. It was wearing the front tires in an odd fashion. He got some kind of after market components that after installed and front end aligned seemed to take care of that issue.
I know knottt what the components was.

I went back and straightened the steering wheel yesterday, but what was odd was when I pulled up in the driveway and putting the steering wheel in the position where the truck tracks straight on the road, got out and measured everything to see where the tires were at. both were slightly turned to the left. left front was toed out about a 1/2", front right was toed in the same 1/2". almost as if the rear axle is off kilter like maybe the truck is "tracking sideways down the road! It probably needs to be taken to a shop to check.

I went back and straightened the steering wheel yesterday, but what was odd was when I pulled up in the driveway and putting the steering wheel in the position where the truck tracks straight on the road, got out and measured everything to see where the tires were at. both were slightly turned to the left. left front was toed out about a 1/2", front right was toed in the same 1/2". almost as if the rear axle is off kilter like maybe the truck is "tracking sideways down the road! It probably needs to be taken to a shop to check.
Have someone drive the truck and follow them.
Align Your eye sight with one side of the truck and see if it appears out of kilter.

My first complete set on my 2017 ram 3500. FALKEN,. Wild peak, quiet nice ride. Unfortunately,the outside edges show wear at less than 10 thou. 98 thou miles, 4th set of front tires and only on second set all around. Decided ,since 7 front end shops tell me how nobody knows how to set alignment but them, I'll just replace my fronts every 25 - 30 thou. Miles till I trade it for a 2500 ram. No more duallys for me.

It was the V06 recall. IF you call FCA or whatever the automaker's "name of the year" and ask nicely with the bill for tires attached because with welded parts you can't align it easily ... they can replace the welded drag link nuts with a new drag link. No, YOU Can Not generally buy the recall part at this time as FCA needs to authorize it. Again, NOT THE Independent Dealer as FCA tied their hands: FCA has to authorize the updated part.

Part Number Description
CSZHV061AA DRAG LINK-STEERING

One alignment explanation for solid front axle RAM pickups. And suggested non OEM alignment and WHY.

It was the V06 recall. IF you call FCA or whatever the automaker's "name of the year" and ask nicely with the bill for tires attached because with welded parts you can't align it easily ... they can replace the welded drag link nuts with a new drag link. No, YOU Can Not generally buy the recall part at this time as FCA needs to authorize it. Again, NOT THE Independent Dealer as FCA tied their hands: FCA has to authorize the updated part.

Part Number Description
CSZHV061AA DRAG LINK-STEERING

One alignment explanation for solid front axle RAM pickups. And suggested non OEM alignment and WHY.

Thanks a bunch. I'll talk to my know it all better than anyone else in the world front end alignment dude. Wait,on second thought, I never did like people who knew EVERYTHING bout something. Thanks , I'll take this to a new guy.

Back