• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

dtc 39 and stalling

That wiring is often damaged during repetitious (sometimes careless) fuel filter r&r -

I have noticed that pretty much everything under the hood that is made of plastic is extremely brittle. There is a plastic shield over the whole firewall, and every time I even touch it, pieces break off it.

The engine harnesses are all silicone-thermal insulation - cannot even brown the insulation with a hot soldering iron - best bet is to hit yer local boneyard and snag sections of the oem harness for any modifications\additions\upgrades within the engine bay - resin-core solder is required, plus a bare crimp (insulation removed): crimp the splice, then solder it - coat the finished splice with a dab of RTV, slide the shrink tube over the freshly RTV'ed splice, hit it with the heatgun, and you gotta waterproof\fuel-proof\antifreeze-proof splice, soldered for good electronic connection, crimped for good mechanical connection

I cut the copper splice in half, strip the wire lengths short to fit the half-splice section, making the resulting splice shorter - works well in a large harness where multiple wires require splicing, allowing the splices to be at various positions along the length so the resulting harness is nearly as compact as the un-spliced harness

I cut the copper splice in half

I LOVE IT... Another approach is to take a lug type terminal that fits both wires and just cut the lug off. And, like the man said, get rid of the insulation. A bare connector will give you a much better crimp.

I won't comment on the soldering part - Well, just a little... I'm against it. If you don't really know how to solder you will be introducing a weak point to your wire. If you really do know how to solder (you know who you are) then have at it if it makes you happy.

BTW - I really know how to solder (my profession) and just don't use the stuff on wire splices period.
Well - Previous profession --- Retired now - And loving it! I can't figure out how I ever found the time to go to work ;-)

Back