• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Drivers Side Exhaust Manifold

MAGNUM SERVICES

Intelligence Guided By Experience
Reaction score
Has anyone replaced the driver side exhaust manifold while the engine is in the truck? Mine is rusted badly from 8 years of plowing snow/salting and it is now leaking where the crossover pipe meets the manifold. I had the crossover replaced about 6 years ago and the manifold bolts had to be drilled out/tapped and replaced and now my rust is worse. Is this gonna' be a pain or should I let a qualified shop do this? Any and all replies will be greatly appreciated, Thanks

Since you are replacing the driver side manifold, if the xover bolts want to twist off, let 'em. It's more difficult to intall the new manifold with the crossover in place but it can be done. Otherwise you're messing with the passenger side xover bolts.

Soak the manifold to head bolts with some PB blaster.

It's a can of worms yeah.. Usually a pain in the keester.

If you don't have a torch and some sockets to remove rusted bolts then I would take it to a shop. I just replaced mine and had to heat the manifold a bit because the bolts were seized in it. The bolt heads were rusted away and no socket would fit it. They were rusted from the snow & salt as well but like the above post, don't worry about the crossover bolts, let them break. The bolts in your head are the ones that you do not want to break.

Back