• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Dove tail and Beaver tail...

DEERE3594

I welcome everyone...not just Penguins!
Reaction score
I reckon this is a stupid question, but what is the difference between a dove tail and a beaver tail on a trailer?

I know the beaver tail has a drop section in the back so only small ramps or no ramps are needed for loading.

what i found

The term ?beavertail? is used to define trucks and trailers which feature a beavertail style loading ramp. Trailers using beavertail style loading ramps are also referred to as ?dovetails?.

Beavertail design is very popular in recovery vehicles and trucks. A beavertail ramp is also known as a dovetail ramp. It consists of a dovetail joint fold down ramp, one end of which rests on the floor, and facilitates easy unloading and loading of/by wheeled equipment/carrying tools. In case of small vehicles the loading ramp can be folded down easily by hand. For larger and heavier loads, hydraulically operated ramps are more suitable. Beavertail ramps can be used with a variety of vehicles, ranging from small pick-ups to flat-beds and large multi-axle semi trucks. Beavertail trailers are also available. Beavertail ramps can made from aluminium, steel, iron, or other materials as per the needs of the customer.

Beavertail flatbeds and commercial recovery trucks are very useful, as they make it easier to tow a damaged or broken down vehicle. One can also buy traditional trucks or recovery vehicles and then attach a beavertail ramp to them. Popular van models on which beavertail ramps are attached are the Ford Transit and Volkswagen Transporter.

as i understand it

beaver tail last part of the trialer goes up and down.

dove tail has a fixed sloped section and still uses ramps

both can be refered to as dove tails

Back