• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

DIY LMM HID Fogs

Diesel Dually

awaiting your return...signed... your friends
Reaction score
Thanks to hemisareslow:

Since to my knowledge no one makes an H16 HID bulb yet.....I decided to make one myself....

I removed the fog light from the housing to make it easier to test fit...but it is not really needed...here is a pic of what the factory H16 bulb looks like in the housing

DSCF0135.jpg

Now here is a pic of the housing without the bulb in it....notice how there is a nice round opening...

DSCF0133.jpg

Since they do not make an H16 HID bulb I bought a few different types of bulbs to try and find which would be the best fit for inside the round opening....as it turns out an 880 fog light bulb is a perfect fit...here is a comparison pic of an 880 and the H16

DSCF0132.jpg

and here is what the 880 bulb looks like pressed into the round opening..

DSCF0137.jpg

In order to make a water tight seal we need to be able to keep the 880 bulb secure inside the round opening....in order to do this I used the retainer off the factory H16 bulb...the best way to do so is by using a dremel with a cutting wheel....the next pic shows what to cut...you need to do it on both sides of the H16 bulb..

cuthere.jpg

What you end up with is the bulb which you can throw away....and the retainer clip

DSCF0144.jpg

In order to hold the bulb firmly in place and provided an extra amount of weather proofing I used the rubber out of a garden hose..it is the right thickness and size....

DSCF0146.jpg

Next use the retainer clip to secure the 880 bulb and garden hose rubber in place

DSCF0147.jpg

DSCF0148.jpg

DSCF0149.jpg

I would have liked to have bought a factory style plug in order to make the bulbs quick connect....but I was unable to find the H16 connections so I simply hardwired them to the factory fog light plug

IMO doing the HID's like this looks almost like a factory bulb and seems to function just as well...it has been over a week since the install and I have had my truck in 2 snow storms, off road in a muddy field, and driven over 100 miles in a rain storm and have not had either fog light housing get any moisture in it.....I hope this helps any of you who wish to put HID's in the factory fogs on your GMT900 chevys....Mike

lol glad I checked here 1st...I was getting all my pics together again to upload...thanks for doing the leg work

Great write up!!! But I do know a guy who makes HID kits for everything and they are reasonably priced with a good warranty. kbrowncustoms.com He is in San Diego....

Back