• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Difference btwn gas a diesel nv4500

chevyCowboy

I might be crazy but i ain't dumb
Reaction score
i have been looking for a new tranny since the diagnosis on mine is not looking that great.

does anyone know if there is any differnce between the gas a diesel versions of the NV4500?

the reason i am asking is beacouse i found one on ebay and the guy said that he bought it off Cl had it rebuilt only to find out that it will not work beacouse it was out of a gasser and not a diesel.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that the Gasser NV4500's have a different input shaft as compared to the diesel. Plus, if the guy bought it hoping to put it behind his diesel, only to find out it wont work as its from a gasser, I'd stop right there as it just wouldn't be worth it.

Have you checked out your local junkyards and car-part?

All chevy NV 4500's have a 1-1/8 inch 10 spline input shaft,the Dodge diesel is 1-1/4 . The NV 4500 that's in my 92 Chevy was out of a gas truck it's an early one with the lower creeper and taller 3rd and 5th .

Ok, the gearing difference I knew about. The fact that both are interchangeable I did not! Josh if its a good deal than to hell with my original post! Jump on it!

what i dont know is wether it is in any better condition then the one that was in my truck im going to find out what all parts are bad on mine and see how much it comes to be for the new parts. i allready have a rebuild kit with syncros and bearings so all i need tobuy is worn out parts. it seems that all parts are available on Ebay from transparts warehouse the prices seem reasonable.

The NV 4500 that's in my 92 Chevy was out of a gas truck it's an early one with the lower creeper and taller 3rd and 5th .

Same with me, only its in a 94 and it came outta a 97 gasser. The trans are the same it's the diff gears that are alot taller in a diesel than gas due to low RPMs of the diesel.

the only difference that I know of it that the diesels had a damper, I believe it is located on the tailshaft, but dont quote me on that.

the gear ratio changes affected all equipped vehicles at that time, it was not a gas/diesel specific thing. All early NV4500s had the higher geared 5th, later ones higher geared 1st, etc.

changes are year dependent, not fuel dependent is basically what I am trying to say.

Back