• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Dealer said Wheel Hub Assemblies

Heartbeat Hauler

A(ACLU) Agent Yoda
Reaction score
Well I took my monthly trip to Evansville, IN and on the way there I heard a scrapping noise coming from the front wheel. I could only hear it with the window down and the truck going between 30 & 40 mph. I took it to the dealer and the tech said the wheel hub assem on both sides were shot. They quoted me $350 bucks each side + $470 labor. I told the tech that this is a 3500 with only 67,000 miles it should not need wheel bearings! He said that was what the issue was, so I pulled the trigger. I did ask if the parts were in stock because I was in town only a week or two and didn't have time for my truck to be down for a couple of days. He said he would order them from the local parts store...AC Delco parts. I called that store and asked if they had them in stock, they said yes and was quoted $200 each....:eek: That's $150 mark-up each side. Anyways, I walked over to the store and bought them myself. The dealer installed them and off I went $900 lighter. Next day the truck starts making the same noise. I take it back to the dealer, the tech takes it for a ride, tells me he hears the noise but it's a "different" noise and it's really the rotors needing turned.....:toetap05: I started to read him the riot act but instead ask for the service manager.

Service manager shows up and he is like 25 years old, but very polite. He asks me to explain whats up. I tell him the story, and my thoughts on a heavy duty pick-up needing wheel bearings at 67000 miles...he agrees. Then he says let me talk to the tech. Manager comes back 20 minutes later and says, "Here is what I can do for you, I will reimburse your labor for the hubs ($470) , but I can't give you the money for the parts since you supplied them, but then adds I will turn your rotors and throw in the labor for free." I said OK. Anyways, I guess it coulda been worse. Do you guys think I shoulda pushed for the cost of the parts? What say you?

You got lucky on this one and at least you know you've got good new hubs both sides. Do you recall the brand? OEM was Timkin.

You got lucky on this one and at least you know you've got good new hubs both sides. Do you recall the brand? OEM was Timkin.
AC Delco according to the parts guy. He said there isn't much difference in quality, but ya never know.

I was hoping everyone would say that. I too was thinking I lucked out on this, however my front wheel is still making the same noise....I heard it today...:(

Any ideas out there of what this noise could be? It sounds like a scrapping noise and only happens between 30 & 40 mph. I know it's not the wheel hub assemblies (bearings) and the rotors have been turned, and the pads have more than 75% lining left. The GM tech ran out of ideas....me too....:thinking:

Just gotta start looking around to see if something is scraping against a rotating part. Wheel, driveshaft, CV shaft, fan belt or pulley, etc. Make sure your TCM is still stuck to the fan shroud and the crappy push pin didn't fall out.

Check to make sure the brake caliper sliders are clean and greased. This is often over looked and causes the brakes to pull to one side, brake pads wear funny, and squeaks at lower speeds. As mentioned earlier check the backing plate, some schlep that was careless in removing the tire/wheel may of bent it into the rotor. Also check to see if the dealer mounted the brake lines/ abs lines and anything close to the brake or wheel surfaces for rubbing.

Maybe the sheet metal guard back of the rotor got nicked or bend and is scraping against the rotor

Check to make sure the brake caliper sliders are clean and greased. This is often over looked and causes the brakes to pull to one side, brake pads wear funny, and squeaks at lower speeds. As mentioned earlier check the backing plate, some schlep that was careless in removing the tire/wheel may of bent it into the rotor. Also check to see if the dealer mounted the brake lines/ abs lines and anything close to the brake or wheel surfaces for rubbing.
Thanks fellas, I'll check these two areas out...:thumbsup:

I feel lucky Jeff, At 293k miles I am still on original brakes, rotors, hubs everything except waterpump and injectors....I better shut up or karma will find me

I feel lucky Jeff, At 293k miles I am still on original brakes, rotors, hubs everything except waterpump and injectors....I better shut up or karma will find me
Holy Cow!!!! :eek:hmy1:

That is awesome! I hope that I can get that many miles outta my brakes and rotors. And, yes I would count my blessings, because the motor gods are definitely smiling on ya...

Holy Cow!!!! :eek:hmy1:

That is awesome! I hope that I can get that many miles outta my brakes and rotors. And, yes I would count my blessings, because the motor gods are definitely smiling on ya...

X2 thats amazing, I cant beleive hardly the wheel bearing assemblies have lasted so long. You havent had to replace even a rear axle seal? I can agree though I am impessed with the quality and durability of GM rotors, at 70k on my old 05 they looked brand new, same deal with the pads.

X2 thats amazing, I cant beleive hardly the wheel bearing assemblies have lasted so long. You havent had to replace even a rear axle seal? I can agree though I am impessed with the quality and durability of GM rotors, at 70k on my old 05 they looked brand new, same deal with the pads.
not that amazing,my 3 trucks all still have the original hubs, calipers and rotors,look at the milage on them.

Back