• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Dakota Digital DSL-1E help

Scholioso

Reaction score
Hey guys. So I'm having trouble getting the the tachometer to work on my 96 chevy k3500 that I just swapped a 12v cummins into. The truck was originally a 6.5 diesel.

The dakota digital unit is supposed to read the crank position sensor off the cummins & feed the engine rpm to the trans controller. Well, I'm having problems with that. Its feeding it info, but its jumping a lot. By jumping I mean the rpm rapidly jumps from 1350, 1450, 1400, 3200, 500, 750, 1350, 1400, etc etc. Very rapidly. Within half a second of each other. Its weird. It always returns to around 1300 when the engine is idling. Which is weird.

I was going to use the dakota digital unit to power my tacho on the 6.5 factory gauges. I couldnt get it to work, so I said screw it & hooked a "w" terminal from the alternator directly to the white alternator wire from the 6.5 & boom, I have rpm. Its reading 600 rpm at idle. Which I think is a little low, but at least it's something.

I spoke with Dakota Digital for about an hour & they couldn't figure it out either. Ideas?

Back