• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Cylinder Head Gasket

Sunshine

Northern Lights
Reaction score
There is a guy over here says its best to makes larger holes in the Cylinder Head Gasket that are face to face to the cooling channels as they are under dimensioned,as these 6 small holes can get block with un-clean cooling fluid.

Has anyone at DTR done this mod to those 6 small holes?

He also feels that how many thermostats you have or how larger water pump you put on your Truck,its doesn't help if holes are not enlarged.

There is a guy over here says its best to makes larger holes in the Cylinder Head Gasket that are face to face to the cooling channels as they are under dimensioned,as these 6 small holes can get block with un-clean cooling fluid.

Has anyone at DTR done this mod to those 6 small holes?

He also feels that how many thermostats you have or how larger water pump you put on your Truck,its doesn't help if holes are not enlarged.

I would think that after all these years Fel-Pro or other performance companies would have made the adjustments already. I could be far wrong, and look forward to seeing others inputs.

speaking from my gas engine rebuilding days.. those holes were purposely left smaller to combat overcooling, to allow coolant to "grab" more heat in its way out, something about cooler antifreeze, rapid flowing against hot metal will flash crack, starting at surface cracks and eventually lead to head failure.. but these were SBC's and SBF's im talking about..

i would assume that for a diesel its left purposely as well.... cyl head heat is imperative to proper combustion.. but who knows now a days.. block technology.. head designs.. i dont know.. its been several years since ive even looked inside an engine.. let alone rebuild

but then again.. i coud be wrong about it on a diesel..

This is what it looks like.

credit to Odd..

edit:Then holes were enlarged to ( A ) = 4mm ( B ) = 5 mm ( C ) = 6mm. Being A at the front

Pakning.jpg

Last edited:
Back