• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Cushioned gooseneck hitch: anyone own or used one?

GM Guy

Manual Trans. 2WD Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't justify one either but like the idea. I posted this in another thread........

I was at a truck stop filling up today and at the next pump was a 3/4 ton truck pulling a Horton equipment special trailer. The trailer looked nice and beefy with large channel, long gussets, and short round coupler. I asked if he experienced any front to rear bucking and he said yeah some. I asked if he thought it was spring wrap fighting with trailer weight and he did not really say yes or no but said he sold a coupler that minimized it. He was hauling someone elses trailer of course w/o the attachment.

sphitch dot com. or google Star Performance hitch.

Anyway he said out west they call it trailer chucking. Said the absorbing coupler reduced it and made brakes smoother too. Said it made it smooth going over rail road crossings etc.

Thought I'd pass it along for info. I like the idea of it absorbing shock loads and taking the fatigue away from load, truck, and trailer.

Anyone seen or used one or something similar and what were the results and your recommendations?

I like it. I couldn't use it because my ball is threaded in, but if I had a purchased hitch, I'd have one. Railroad tracks seem to be the worst about the slamming. I have a Schuck shock hitch on my bumper and love it. This is the 2nd truck it's been on. It makes a world of difference, so I would guess the one in the bed would be as good.

expound on said "tripping action".

if you are talkign about the trailer jerking forward/aft or pull/push as it goes up and over the a bump..like a hay wagon bucks there is really only two causes
not enough pin wieght
coupler is loose
after twisting off two jam studs i did this with two 3/4" grade 5 bolts.. this was my first attempt and it resolved the issue.. if it didnt work i was going to weld it solid
https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/935065_10200656775035361_263622239_n.jpg

you are on to something with the coupler. I need to cut some off the top, as it bottoms out, and the pin will actually spin when the empty trailer is on the gooseneck. the welded cap on top of the square tube is actually cracking, as I guess when the coupler bottoms out it is putting a bunch of weight on the cap rather than the pin.

I may try cutting a little off and shimming it, but Imagine your idea is what we need to do.

would you prefer a round pipe then?

maybe the hillsboro angled neck isnt such a goofy looking design after all, I bet it wouldnt beat around. http://www.hillsboroindustries.com/Products/700SeriesGooseneckTrailers.aspx

I found something! :)

we pick up this trader paper, "The Mile Saver Shopper" and someone from Colorado about 100 miles away had a cushioned hitch. we were in the area, called him, and I bought it for 250 bucks.

I thought it looked familar, so I googled the manufacturing company, and found out that I bought a Cody Cushion hitch. I had it listed up above, last link.

here is the newer website: http://pullwithcody.com/CodyGooseneckCushion.htm

The guy had a B&W turnover ball hitch in his 08-10 ford (I didnt even see if it was PSD, I assume so, poor dude :) ), and ordered this unit new with the B&W stub. He said he loved it, but the wife preferred a fifth wheel hitch for ease of hooking in case she had to hook up, and the new RV warranty would be void if he used a gooseneck adapter on the fifth wheel kingpin, so his hands were tied, so he got a Companion hitch for his current B&W and put this in the paper. he claimed it cost him around 400 bucks, so I didnt steal it for 250, but felt I got a good deal. I have yet to find an actual price online to confirm, so I will have to either call a dealer, or take his word for it that it cost 400.

Either way, I got a cushioned hitch finally. I will post up how I like it.

Back