• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Cummins Swap

big block 88

Big Block 88
Reaction score
Hey I don't know if this is where I should post this Mods can move it if not.

Well after 20 years of faithful service my old 88 in avatar is getting a restored, body off. The old big block truck has over 300,000 miles on her and I am just about ready to tear her down when I get home. What I want to know is what cummins is the best I want it to be at least fairly cheap. I found a 91 cummins out of a D250 on ebay intercooled for about 700 bucks minus injection pump I won't buy I am just trin to found the best route for the drivetrain can I make some big power on the old motors or do I need a comp controlled. I was just gonna slap a NV4500 Manual behind it or should I use the dodge six speed? We haven't owned a dodge in a long time so my knowledge is very little on the motors now, anyone know where I can pic up a good cheep cummins? I love my old 454 but it is time for me to get more than 3-9MPG any input would be great.

Run the NV4500 just as strong, can get them usually for about $1500-2000 less, and there are I wanna say like 150# lighter than the NV5600 and alot shorter. Dont know if you have intentions on straight axleing this or what. But your perfect drivetrain combo right now would be a 94-98 Cummins with a P-7100 pump. And the manual trans and transfer out of a 96+ GM 3/4 ton or 1 ton. If you come a cross a earlier GM NV4500 it wont work without modification, its a pain to swap to the cummins bellhousing and dodge input shaft. Its honestly a just a bolt on parts swap if you get a 96+ GM NV4500. Obviously you could run a dodge NV4500 too, but then you have the 5th gera problems and you have to change some stuff around to run a GM transfer case. Build your own motor mounts is the best route, to get the motor where it needs to be.

There are alot of variables in this project all depending on what you want to do with this truck. I have a thread on here with details of my Cummins conversion, thats not finished, I kinda lost some steam, but oh well pulling season is along time away anyways. If you have any questions, feel free to PM for my number, I can help you figure out what you need, if I have a better idea of what you want to accomplish, lots of people helped me and talked me through alot and its just returning the favor.

On another note, I got a low-mileage 96 12V with a 180 P-pump, motor fully loaded for $1600, check cumminsforum competitiondiesel dieseltruckresource all of there classifieds deal with alot of cummins engines. A month back ago or so there was a P-pumped 12v that loaded motor that went for like $600, I dont think the guy knew what he had, but if you look you'll definetly find some deals.

Thanks man I will start checkin some stuff out, I won't be starting it for a while my hope was to kill the old big block first but she just won't die, and also I am currently in Iraq and I am not sure if I am going to sign for another year or not, but it is looking that way. The truck is actually a 2 wheel drive truck, but I am considering doing a solid axle 4X4 conversion, I hear it is not that hard. The truck is used to do excactly what it is doing in my album and my Avatar. Thanks for the help if you come accross any good deals on some parts let me know.

On another note, I got a low-mileage 96 12V with a 180 P-pump, motor fully loaded for $1600, check cumminsforum competitiondiesel dieseltruckresource all of there classifieds deal with alot of cummins engines. A month back ago or so there was a P-pumped 12v that loaded motor that went for like $600, I dont think the guy knew what he had, but if you look you'll definetly find some deals.

I wish you lived closer. I want to do a swap into my camper . has a 318 dodge in it right now.

Also if you ever get the flea bay check under cumminGs alot of dumbasses post there stuff under that, because they dont know anything about vehicles. Alot of good can be had that way.

Back