• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Cummins ISB6.7 swap into Hemi powered Ram 2500 4x4

Tim8425

Reaction score
My son picked up an amazingly clean Hemi powered 2007 Dodge Ram 2500 MegaCab 4x4 for his 19th birthday. His money and his first truck and he loves it, but doing some recent towing of a big utility trailer and back and forth to college two hours away has shown us the the Hemi's limits and weaknesses.
My daily driver is a 2009 Dodge Ram 2500 4dr longbed 4x4 that I bought new for a killer price right after the stock market tanked and I love it. It has the 6.7 and the 68rfe, which crapped the bed on me at 125k. We live in the New Orleans area and I was able to get it rebuilt by a serious old school guy. The guy that brought my truck to the shop was driving a Ford 550 and as soon as I got near his truck I knew it was a cummins. I quizzed him about it and he laughed because he custom orders his trucks. He really likes the Ford layout, but had been burned with an older DT444/Allison 4-speed combination and so now ran Cummins ISB6.7/Allison 1000 combo.
All of that to say, my son and I have decided to make his truck an oil burner and to that end, we pulled the trigger on a 2009 ISB6.7 from a wrecked bus that was already pulled.
Because it has the SAE 3 bell housing, swapping in an Allison 1000 looks like our best shot since all the adapters for a Dodge 47/48 re are way too pricey and we are doing a budget build for reliability and durability, not the 1/4 mile. Running into all of the basic issues you find doing a gas to diesel swap and being WAY down here in the south is that 4wd Allisons are as rare King Tuts nuts.
So we could really use a hand from ya'll in direction of adapter parts, bellhousings, wiring harnesses, transfer case adapters and the like. We have only have 5k to work with right now, but more will come when kid goes back to work in May. We are starting off fresh and are going to do as much as we can on our own, so please if any of ya'll have words of wisdom, parts to sell, sites to share and the like, please let us know.

Thanks,

Tim (dad) and Sam

Word: Putting a HD emissions "bus" diesel into a LD emissions gas rig is a big no-no. The EPA appears to be cracking down on tuners, shops, and looks like individuals are next. Yeah well today we don't have emissions tests... Tomorrow is here my friend and what we got away with yesterday has a big EPA target on our backs. Your best best is to at least start with a diesel VIN number on a factory diesel pickup. That said there are some emissions compliant repower crate engines out there that start at $20K. Again look at who is in office and their green agenda. :vomit:

Used vehicle prices are insane now so again best to stick with what you got. Your diesel truck's value is likely insane at the moment so letting your son trade you is a big gift...

Cost wise just pour the gasoline down the HEMI. Single digit MPG is "So What?!" ... put an aux tank in the bed. By the time you are done spending the money on making this swap work and the higher TCO of diesels including high priced Cummins parts it will have been cheaper to keep pouring premium gas down the HEMI. The 2009 choke to death on EGR 6.7 Cummins engines with non-stop emissions problems you couldn't give me one for FREE!!! Either get a pre emissions 5.9 or go with the proven reliable DEF 2013+ year engine setup.

That $5K will go quick for college expenses as it is. That is 1,666 gal of gas at $3 a gal going 16,666.0 miles at average of 10 MPG.

My son picked up an amazingly clean Hemi powered 2007 Dodge Ram 2500 MegaCab 4x4 for his 19th birthday. His money and his first truck and he loves it, but doing some recent towing of a big utility trailer and back and forth to college two hours away has shown us the the Hemi's limits and weaknesses.
My daily driver is a 2009 Dodge Ram 2500 4dr longbed 4x4 that I bought new for a killer price right after the stock market tanked and I love it. It has the 6.7 and the 68rfe, which crapped the bed on me at 125k. We live in the New Orleans area and I was able to get it rebuilt by a serious old school guy. The guy that brought my truck to the shop was driving a Ford 550 and as soon as I got near his truck I knew it was a cummins. I quizzed him about it and he laughed because he custom orders his trucks. He really likes the Ford layout, but had been burned with an older DT444/Allison 4-speed combination and so now ran Cummins ISB6.7/Allison 1000 combo.
All of that to say, my son and I have decided to make his truck an oil burner and to that end, we pulled the trigger on a 2009 ISB6.7 from a wrecked bus that was already pulled.
Because it has the SAE 3 bell housing, swapping in an Allison 1000 looks like our best shot since all the adapters for a Dodge 47/48 re are way too pricey and we are doing a budget build for reliability and durability, not the 1/4 mile. Running into all of the basic issues you find doing a gas to diesel swap and being WAY down here in the south is that 4wd Allisons are as rare King Tuts nuts.
So we could really use a hand from ya'll in direction of adapter parts, bellhousings, wiring harnesses, transfer case adapters and the like. We have only have 5k to work with right now, but more will come when kid goes back to work in May. We are starting off fresh and are going to do as much as we can on our own, so please if any of ya'll have words of wisdom, parts to sell, sites to share and the like, please let us know.

Thanks,

Tim (dad) and Sam
Thanks for the "heads up"

Back