• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

credit card theft

stacks04

McLovin
Reaction score
second time in 3 months and 3rd time in the last 2 years my wifes debit card attached to her business checking account has been hacked. luckily the bank and visa have not held us accountable for the charges. what do you guys think could be happening. she uses her laptop and our wireless internet to place orders for her business at home. that is the only place she uses the net.

according to the bank they havent hacked into her checking account, just the visa end of it.

coincidence or something not secure enough? anything we can do to better shield ourselves from this happening again. it gets inconvenient to wait for cards and not having the ability to make purchases. thanks guys

You might have a Trojan Horse in the computer.

It is probably something like that.

WIFI is not secure, I try not to use it for anything like paying bills, I will plug the PC into the router so I am hardlined to it.

Also if you want to make business purchases online or any for that matter get a CITI-Master Card. You log onto the web site and get a virtual account number, it is good for one purchase online and is encrypted in Citi-Banks system, so if a hacker tries to use it again its use will be declined.

https://www.citicards.com/cards/wv/showSearchResults.do?constituent=PROFESSIONAL

https://www.citicards.com/cards/wv/detail.do?screenID=700

https://www.citicards.com/cards/wv/swf/flash_test.html

I never use my Debit Card when travel.

Good Luck,

Tony

Are you sure it was hacked over the net? Is she using the card at other establishments? Someone may be swiping here card number with a hand scanner. It happened to my wife 2 years ago. Never, never, never let your physical card out of site.

Yeah its tought. If its the computer I would check for malware or a trojan. I found Malware Bytes is a good free program you can do a search for it.

I agree with RoadRunnerTR21 it could have been a local place or reciept something with her number on it..

My Mastercard that I've had and used extensively for close to 20 years got hacked last week. Mastercard fraud alert flagged it and called me - a $1300 charge was blocked and a $1006 charge processed - both for "dental equipment." Number was frozen, new card issued, but I have to wait for a fraud report form to come in the mail and submit it hardcopy to get the $1006 charge reversed - PITA. First time I've had my credit card number stolen in years and years and literally thousands of transactions all over the country and online.

My corporate VISA had fraudulent charges show up on it... an internet-based phone answering service based in India.

I called them to check the details of my account, and they had an Asian name attached to my account number, along with an American address.

In other words, somebody signed up for this service with a guessed-at VISA number, gave them an address and name, and the company figured they had enough to charge my card? WTF?

Explain to me how they can charge to my number, with a different name, address, and expiry date on it.

Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about your wife's online use. I tihnk there are greater flaws in the system...

maybe the use of a virtual keyboard is the answer......many sites are doing this to prevent key loggers from getting your number

It would be helpful to pin point how it happens. This way the correct steps could be taken to have it stop.

thanks guys. i am going do a good cleaning on the computer this weekend and see if anything is there.
she really only uses the card for purchases on line. everything else she writes a check for. maybe a ramdom use here or there, but nothing consistant, and it is to coincidental for it to happen like that this often.

like stated ealier an intruder must have loaded a program on here computer and it must get her card number from somewhere. i'll keep you posted.

okay, ran the super antispyware. found a bunch of adware things, a trojan smitfraud variant and one other item. not sure where to go from here though.
should i run a differant scan?
what are your recomendations for an antivirus? i had nortons at first, but it made the computer so dang slow.

You need to do at least one more scan on it; go to housecall.antivirus.com and run the TrendMicro AV scan.

Post up the results.

Wise as it is to attempt to put better security measures in place on your computer, realize this may not be the only source for a possible hijack of your information.
While vacationing in Florida two years ago, I attempted to use my gas card for a fill. It was declined at the pump. I had been using this card for a couple years and the balance has been regularly paid off every month, so I went inside to inquire. My card had been shut down. We go back to our home base and I check my email...they sent me a notice that my card has been compromised and I needed to call. They told me an attempt at a charge for one dollar had been made on that card from California. They caught it and shut it down.
I asked if my paying this account online had exposed my info over the internet and they told me when you pay at the pump, your information is sent over the internet anyways!

Wise as it is to attempt to put better security measures in place on your computer, realize this may not be the only source for a possible hijack of your information.
While vacationing in Florida two years ago, I attempted to use my gas card for a fill. It was declined at the pump. I had been using this card for a couple years and the balance has been regularly paid off every month, so I went inside to inquire. My card had been shut down. We go back to our home base and I check my email...they sent me a notice that my card has been compromised and I needed to call. They told me an attempt at a charge for one dollar had been made on that card from California. They caught it and shut it down.
I asked if my paying this account online had exposed my info over the internet and they told me when you pay at the pump, your information is sent over the internet anyways!

i am pretty sure she doesnt use the card for anything but online and some in store purchases. it could be one of those also, but the frequency is to coincidental for me. i am going to go this route and do the most i can do to protect it on this end. i cant do anything to change criminals behaviors in a public setting.

You need to do at least one more scan on it; go to housecall.antivirus.com and run the TrendMicro AV scan.

Post up the results.

i will do that one tonight. i also did the malaware you had posted in the sticky and did find another item with it. thanks

Back