• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

CPU Usage Spiking

CtChevy427

Still Kicking....
Staff member
Lead Moderator
Reaction score
In the past month or so I have been having my CPU usage spiking to 100% or close to that at times. I mainly notice it when I switch between web pages. Any ideas?

most mallware and ad scanners will do that.

I was using AVG which fights both. Also ran spybot and adware. none have found a thing. Currently running avast with windows defender and nothing has been found. I wonder if running one of these in safe mode would find anything more.

task manager will show the process, you can look at it and see who is running hard, my bet would be svhost......if it is XP....Vista could be different, but you can still find out what is causing excessive cpu usage

task manager will show the process, you can look at it and see who is running hard, my bet would be svhost......if it is XP....Vista could be different, but you can still find out what is causing excessive cpu usage

Tim, you are right I am running XP and svchost.exe is second in line to ybrowser.exe both pulling over 30K. what are they and can they be stopped.

Tim, you are right I am running XP and svchost.exe is second in line to ybrowser.exe both pulling over 30K. what are they and can they be stopped.
when I was having that problem I would go into task manager and tell svhost to end process, there are several that run in the background and it involves mostly network usage....mostly different ports that the computer has to gain access tot he internet. More and likely you have someting that is exploiting your internet connection, I never found mine so I saved what i could and reformatted and reinstalled everything. i would get a year or two beofre it would start again......web sites contain harmful stuff and the owners don't even know about it......
On edit...try using firefox web browser. You may find yourself in a better position

There's a trojan that causes this issue, also. Try scanning with an online scanner, such as housecall.antivirus.com (Trend Micro's online scanner).

It might be nothing, but if you keep killing the svchost instance via task manager, as Tim suggests, and it keeps coming back, it's worth investigating deeper. You might also try Superantispyware - they have flagged the particular problem in the past, not sure if they have added detection routines for it yet.

Both are free to try.

I agree COMPLETELY with JiFaire! Good point. An online scanner will be able to scan, confine and more than likely clean your system. If you're comfortable with things, try cleaning out your prefetch folder before you reboot, all temp files/folders and other items. Take a visit to your add/remove programs and uninstall any items that are small in weight and programs that you aren't familiar with. Also, visit your hard drive folders under program files and be sure that the folders for those programs are removed. Don't delete anything you're not familiar with. It sounds most like your browser has been hijacked. I think most of this should resolve your issues.

A last ditch effort, something you shouldn't mess with is "hijack this" which will help you in getting control of your browser again.

Keep us posted!

I was using AVG which fights both. Also ran spybot and adware. none have found a thing. Currently running avast with windows defender and nothing has been found. I wonder if running one of these in safe mode would find anything more.

Funny thing happened to me on my current Windows 7 Beta install...AVG was running on that one too....notice I said was...
One day every time I loaded a web page it felt like it was stuck in the mud. Taking forever to load. I looked at my task manager and AVG was pegging out the usage. I nuked it and it all came back nice and purdy...
I had the disk in hand, I was gonna nuke the install and start over.

Back