• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Covering the front of the engine during cold months?

Holyoak

Reaction score
So now that the outside temp.s are starting to drop, what's the general consensus/rule of thumb on how much of the radiator should be blocked off (if any)? Should it only be a small portion? What's the best location then? Upper section, lower section, dead in the middle. upper or lower half, entire radiator? General experience input would be greatly appreciated.
With nothing in front of my 'burb's radiator the beast can sit in the cold for an hour and never come up to a respectable operating temp.

In the great white cold north, I don't do anything until it starts to hit 30F. I cover both openings in the front with sheet metal cut to fit with hooked bolts that grab the grill from behind. When it get really cold, I put foam in the nostrils. Even then, she doesn't over heat or even get hot.

I've put a Lund hard plastic grille cover on my sub for the last 3 years and love it. The truck definitely warms up a little faster. I also cover the 2 bumper holes with duct tape. Not as pretty as Mfgguru's metal plates. This weekend I'm going to take the fan off and see if that helps the warm up. I haven't done the grille cover yet. That will be in a week or two.

My wife bought me a quilted leather (well, fake leather) winterfront with snaps. In the summer, a bug screen goes on the snaps.

She was sick of my old winterfront... which I made by cutting up a cardboard beer flat to properly cover the grille and hooking it on with nylon zip ties.

It would get all wet and ugly, she said, but really, I replaced it every time that happened.

I think the REAL issue was me emptying out another flat of beer to get at the cardboard.

heh, heh, heh. :)

Last edited:
My wife bought me a quilted leather (well, fake leather) winterfront with snaps. In the summer, a bug screen goes on the snaps.

She was sick of my old winterfront... which I made by cutting up a cardboard beer flat to properly cover the grille and hooking it on with nylon zip ties.

It would get all wet and ugly, she said, but really, I replaced it every time that happened.

I think the REAL issue was me emptying out another flat of beer to get at the cardboard.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Don't tell me they were LUCKY boxes Jim...HAHAHA

I'm thinking this mod needs to be in a sticky LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
I got one of those "leather"ones. it's gotta stay below freezing before it gets put on. I like my heat and if I don't it's takes 20 minutes until you can feel anything for warmth. mind you I have and 6.2 also.

my old winterfront... which I made by cutting up a cardboard beer flat to properly cover the grille and hooking it on with nylon zip ties.

Don't drink it and I won't buy it, but I am partial to Coors cardboard as a winterfont - it's got that "blingy" chrome effect.....):h

I've Got the same thing that Jim has...
Close the openings and never have any overheating problems...

My wife bought me a quilted leather (well, fake leather) winterfront with snaps.

Jim ask your wife were she bought that Kinkey Leather thingy so i can get one sent over, has it got studs on it.. You did say it was Black :D The Snow has landed.... so i need to Pimp my Truck for Christmas....

Last edited:
So now that the outside temp.s are starting to drop, what's the general consensus/rule of thumb on how much of the radiator should be blocked off (if any)? Should it only be a small portion? What's the best location then? Upper section, lower section, dead in the middle. upper or lower half, entire radiator? General experience input would be greatly appreciated.
With nothing in front of my 'burb's radiator the beast can sit in the cold for an hour and never come up to a respectable operating temp.

Seeing how you're in southern Indiana, I'm not sure you'd need a winter front.

I got some stainless grill inserts to go in the front, it doesn't completly cut off the air flow but i do know that it makes a diffrence. If i'm pulling a trailer then i do need to take them out unless i want to hear the radiator fan the entire ride. It had some clips that hold it in place on the plastic "bars" on the grill. It does add a "cool" factor to it :D

Jim, I'm amazed at your acts of self sacrifice for your families warmth and comfort. My hats off to you.:D Leo

It can get pretty cold here but not as harsh as about half a state north of us. Seems like Indy is the geographical cut off in Indiana. We are also in what is called the Ohio Valley. I have yet to figure out if this is a good thing or bad. I know it's hell for people with alergies.

Here is a pic of my set-up... notice I cut vertical slits on this day since I had a snowmobile and a couple hundred pounds of gear in the bed of the truck, so the 4x4 trek thru the 8 inch snow made it get hot (ambient was really warm... around 30F that day) THe nice thing about this set-up is that it cost me next to nothing, and when I needed a little extra cooling, I just whipped out the razor knife and it was perfect. One downside you can see here is the discoloration road slush causes, although most of what you see is residual salt.

DSCN0159.jpg

Back