• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Coolant Temp Gauge Slow to React

Big T

Reaction score
After I fought with the installation of the Borgeson lower steering column, the dash temp gauge is slow to respond. Like it takes 10 miles to start moving up and eventually reaching its normal operating temp. Previously it would start moving up within 1/2 mile. I also noted that as it is moving up, it will dip downward if I stomp the go pedal. Any ideas here? Did I mess up the coolant sender (again) while jerking around with the steering shaft install?

Might need to do some searching and see if the wire is stretched or pinched.
Also, need to remember that the temps have cooled some and it will take a little longer for the enjun to produce the same amount of heat as febore, ooooopssssss, before. 😹😹😹

Is this for the '99? If so, recommend getting a scanner and reading the PCM's live data to see if it is just the sending unit (and / or wire), or the coolant is actually behaving that way. Point is, the gauge's sending unit is also a culprit and by reading from the PCM, it is a cross-check to validate whether the second sending unit sees (roughly) the same temperatures.

After I got the Edge, I completely ignored the dash gauge.

Is this for the '99? If so, recommend getting a scanner and reading the PCM's live data to see if it is just the sending unit (and / or wire), or the coolant is actually behaving that way. Point is, the gauge's sending unit is also a culprit and by reading from the PCM, it is a cross-check to validate whether the second sending unit sees (roughly) the same temperatures.

After I got the Edge, I completely ignored the dash gauge.

Yes. this is for the '99.

Have CKO GM Tech II, but it is in Fullerton, CA and I'm in Stevensville, MT with the truck. We get heat to the cabin within a mile of driving, then it really quicks on when the gauge finally starts to climb.

I have messed up that sender before working down there with my big paws, much like recent event replacing the lower steering column. I replaced the sender and it and it was relatively cheap. I know, don't throw parts at it.

Yesterday while returning from fishing, the engine coolant temp gauge was not even registering. I pulled over and fiddled with the wiring to the back of the plug, pushing it into the plug and it started to register again. Pretty clear it's the wire into the plug, so I order a repair plug from RA:

More Information for STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS HP4315 (rockauto.com)

Ive been hearing a little about this torque app for an android tablet that you can have mounted in the cab and have a sort of gauge cluster on the screen reading the actual PCM data while your driving. I like that idea and always wanted something like that for the obd1 systems.

something like this might be nice to have while your out on a road trip. I'd replace my radio head unit with one or these plus have a music app like pandora and GPS on it too.

I thought the ecm read the head temp sender and the gauge read the crossover sender?

How long might matter….iirc The engine has to get to a minimum temp I thought it was 160F in 10 minutes or DTC 15 is set. But my memory is bad.

Sucks to be away from tools. Maybe could have unplugged crossover and check gauge reading to confirm gauge sender location and see what worse case connector shows.

I thought the ecm read the head temp sender and the gauge read the crossover sender?

How long might matter….iirc The engine has to get to a minimum temp I thought it was 160F in 10 minutes or DTC 15 is set. But my memory is bad.

Sucks to be away from tools. Maybe could have unplugged crossover and check gauge reading to confirm gauge sender location and see what worse case connector shows.
The sender in tje front left cylinder head is for the gauge. The two wire sender in the thermostat cross over is for the ECM.

Installed the replacement plug and the gauge now works and is steady. Temp climbs faster, but not as fast as the with the OEM a radiator. Also the top temp is right at 185 and will drop below that when the engine is not being worked hard. I’m also attributing this to the new Champion radiator.

I know it might be a PIA to test but if not running a extra manual gauge, I would get a pot of hot water and the temp probe. stick the new sender in the pot and compare to see how accurate the gauge is reading. do a couple of tests one at a lower temp and one at boiling temp.

Back