• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

combo plates?

iamdave0887

Here Comes Chaos.....
Reaction score
are combo plates needed to tow anything in CT? i've got to haul about 3 tons of scrap and i was going to load up the truck bed and the trailer to maybe get one trip instead of 2. the hitch says its a 5000 lb or 10K balanced, and i think trailer and steel will be maybe 3,000-3,500 lbs.

no idea. just what i heard from a friend that he heard from a dodge dealer. i just want to make sure its BS before is start the job, instead of getting a possible ticket if its true. i've never heard of it either, but just wanted to be 100% sure.

nope, you can trailer anything legally with your commercial plates (withing the limits of truck/hitch/trailer), except on a parkway. with commercial plates, you are not even supposed to drive on a parkway. certain local roads are closed to commercial vehicles, too

no commercial plates. i've just got regular plates(they say constitution state on them). i did pay for the "combo plate fee" or whatever DMV calls it when i registered the truck but i asked if i could keep the plates from an old beater minivan that i registered only 2-4 months prior to getting the truck.

no commercial plates. i've just got regular plates(they say constitution state on them). i did pay for the "combo plate fee" or whatever DMV calls it when i registered the truck but i asked if i could keep the plates from an old beater minivan that i registered only 2-4 months prior to getting the truck.

must be cause you wanted to keep the plates from the last vehicle..... My plates say COMB on right side (vertical) , other than that, they look like yours.......

Dave, This should explain what your asking.
http://www.ct.gov/dmv/cwp/view.asp?a=810&q=310268&dmvPNavCtr=|#44828

Registering a Pick-up Truck with
Passenger Plates

A pick up truck can be registered with passenger plates if the gross vehicle weight rating does not exceed 8500 lbs. and the vehicle is not being used for commercial purposes. Combination fees will be charged in addition to other required fees for registration.

If you currently have combination plates on your pick-up and want to change it to passenger plates please follow the steps below:

Bring the current registration, marker plates and insurance information to your local DMV and request a class transfer to passenger plates.

The gross vehicle weight rating cannot exceed 8500lbs.

Applicable Fees: You will pay a $45.00 class transfer fee at that time.

Important: You will be given credit for the unused portion of your current registration and will have to pay an additional fee for the new expiration period of the passenger plates. This fee is based on the expiration of your current registration and the gross weight of the vehicle. This additional fee will be determined at the time the class transfer is processed.

The light weight and gross weight of the vehicle will remain the same as on the combination registration.

You will receive new passenger plates and an expiration sticker good for two years from the date of issue.

Fill out Registration Form H-13

What vehicles are prohibited from traveling on limited access state highways designated as parkways (Merritt Parkway, Wilbur Cross Parkway)?
The following are prohibited from entry upon and use of the highway right-of-way of those limited access state highways designated as parkways:

a. commercial motor vehicles.

b. trailers.

c. all towed vehicles except as provided in
Section 14-298-240.

d. buses.

e. hearses when part of a procession or cortege.

f. vehicles bearing other than passenger, camper, taxicab, vanpool or hearse registrations and those vehicles bearing combination registrations which have a gross weight in excess of seventy-five hundred pounds;

g. vehicles whose dimensions, including any load, exceed one of the following:

length – twenty-four feet
width - seven feet, six inches
height – eight feet

Permits for entry upon and use of the parkways by vehicles normally excluded there from may be issued by the commission when, in its opinion, the interests of public necessity are served thereby. Such permits shall be in writing and shall specify the period of validity of such permit, the parkway or portion thereof and the identity of the vehicle concerned. A copy of the permit shall be carried in the vehicle. Apply for a permit​

Back