• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Code 83??

Suburban K2500

Reaction score
I clear codes by break then throttle etc. works fine. Then check again with out starting & 12 blinks 3 times, then 83 blinks after that continuously?? Is this because of the TCC Lock I just did or is there a sensor in tranny bad, or bad torque converter solenoid??

Marc

Last edited:
Code 83 is "Solinoid circuit fault" I suspect you don't have a operating lockup torque coverter clutch, I would check wiring/harness and clean the large electrical plug that goes into the trans.. If that fails you maybe looking at a tcc solinoid, there not to bad for price 30 to 60$ and not very hard to change.

Did you have this issue before you did the TCC mod, or did you CAUSE the issue with the TCC mod?

(Trying to figure out what started the problem)

Did you have this issue before you did the TCC mod, or did you CAUSE the issue with the TCC mod?

(Trying to figure out what started the problem)

Oh Yeh, I didn't pickup on the fact that he has did the TCC lockup mod. Come to think of it my truck always has a code because of the TCC mod, I will check later today to see if its the code 83.

Probably caused it!! Had DTC 39 - TCC Stuck "OFF", 67 - TCC Solenoid Circuit (Open or Short), 68 - Transmission Component Slipping, 83 Torque Converter Clutch. These codes showed up after pulling boat from Deep creak, MD to Gettysburg, PA. (3 1/2 hrs.) This was before TCC mod. Did not have these codes on the way there but truck was in limp mode because of too much boost (5 1/2 hrs.). With out trailer the only code is the 83 all the time now? Hooked up lighted toggle switch for TCC, light goes off after 1500 rpm's in OD & 2500 rpm's in 3rd. Only stay engaged if pedal is steady, very steady.

Marc

I get code 83 as well so I presume that is normal with the TCC mod.. The computer must throw the code when it senses the TCC locked up when it's programing says it shouldn't be.

Sounds like you are using the wrong type of switch. Or do you have a relay turning the light on. A typical switch doesn’t work, single poll single throw (SPST). You need to use a single poll double throw (SPDT). With the SPST you are putting volts to the solenoid ground. With the SPDT the switch throws a ground to the TCC and then when you switch it back it reconnects the pcm. it is also called a on-on switch instead of an off-on switch. there should not be any power hooked to the switch just a ground to chassic and the to leads from the splice at the pcm.

It is a LED light so I don't think it needs more then the 5 volts to light. I can actually see it dimming when it starts the lock up. If I switch the wires around it doesn't light at all.

Marc

Back