• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Clunk after head R&R

jrsavoie

Recruit
Reaction score
We ended up with a nightmare on the 89.
Do to the miles I decided it needed timing chain & gears - it did the chain could just about be picked over the gear - Decided to change the IP at the same time - bad move.
We checked compression & found it to be strong in every cylinder. Oil pressure is good so we proceeded to dump money in the truck.

We changed the timing chain, gears, glow plugs, injectors & IP.
Started the truck adjusted the timing everything seemed fine.
The wife drove it to work and it was blowing smoke on her way home. Tried adjusting the timing to no avail.
Checked compression - 80lbs in number 2 cylinder - crap
Pulled valve cover & found a broken rocker.
Next mistake - pulled head because the number 2 cylinder was still lacking compression.
The cylinders looked surprisingly excellent. We decided that the diesel had washed the oil off the cylinder walls & that was our compression problem. We could have just squirted some oil through the glow plug hole and turned the engine over a little.
We put things back together - compression was back. So was the smoke.
Pulled the IP, returned it and installed the new rebuilt. The returned IP was said to have the fuel screw turned all the way in.
Truck was running & had an appointment at the local shop to get the timing checked as I still wasn't completely satisfied with the way it was running.
At this point in time I had put a couple hundred miles on the truck.
Went to start the truck to the sound of a clunk at the hit of the key. Decided to push start - tried 3rd gear - the back wheels never turned. Maybe we should have tried a higher gear.
I had the starter rebuilt and it turned over very hard after charging the batteries & having the charger on boost then went back to clunking.
My next move is to change the starter bracket - it was broken & I welded it but I'm not sure I gapped it enough & think I may have shortened it - Take the serpentine belt off & try to start the engine again.
Next move after that will be to remove the glow plugs and try to turn the engine over with the starter & by hand if need be.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
It was running fine before we started fixing it.

Gave you your own thread, jr - this isn't relative to original thread topic

So -

- check your harmonic balancer, see if it moves without moving crankshaft

- pull your torque convertor cover, see if the flexplate is moveable without moving the crankshaft

- if copasetic, likely something left over from one of the previous repair procedures - could even be in one of the cylinders

- will need to pull the valve cover(s) or\and the waterpump\cover to checkout the timing-train

- if that stuff is copesetic, then possibly the head(s)

- if everything is up to snuff, pull the pan

Back