• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Clark 280VO

BigBlueChevy

Compression Ignition Addict
Reaction score
We don't have an "all other trannies" forum... and the drive train section says no trannies... so I got a little confused and picked this one.

Anybody here played around with a Clark 5 speed? Maybe specifically the 280VO(rare one with OD) I'm looking for a manual trans to put behind the New Holland motor and the Clark seems to have been common behind it. So far I've heard alot of good about it. Very tough and bulletproof transmission. Perfect for experimenting with. Maybe get the input shaft cryoed to make it a little stronger.

Anybody's out takes on this trans?

Never played with one, but I hear good things. It would probably be a good match.

That's what I would imagine. I've heard of nothing but good about these transmissions. And the fact that they are used in anything from 2 to 5 tons trucks shows they have a broad range for power application. I've yet to see anyone actually break one of these things.

There are a couple Jeep forums that make mention of it. Usually starting with something along the lines of "I want to put a Clark 5 speed in my Jeep. Doable?" Then someone responding with "There practically bulletproof as a trans could get, but there heavy for a Jeep. Just shy of 300lbs."

Seems like they where replaced by an Eaton Fuller 5 and 6 speed later on.

Back