• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Cheap ramps

Matt Bachand

Depends on the 6.5
Reaction score
I made these a year ago when I wish I had some ramps.

Just 2x6's cut at a 45, lowest one is longer so weight of truck holds em in place, no slide. I 4low up em, could make them longer on top if scared of going off. These work great, and the extra 6 inches is awesome for working underneath.

Best thing is, they will NEVER, ever, break with me underneath the rig.

Attachments

• 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 38
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 37
Good idea. A 2x10 for the bottom and stacked 2x8's would make for more stability. If you got real creative you could make them higher as well.

Good idea. A 2x10 for the bottom and stacked 2x8's would make for more stability. If you got real creative you could make them higher as well.

Defanately, i only had 2 2x6's kicking around so thats what I used. I wanted longer at top, but my last pieces of wood were only that long, so instead of adding to the bottom, i had to add to the top. These aren't your beginner's ramps, not a good spot for a PMD surge :), but they work well and cost practically nothing.

And for someone reading that may not know, an extra 6 inches of room under the rig makes all the difference in the world when you are under there.

Surprising what you can get out of a tree..

I say to my kids "Do You Think Money Grows On Trees" yes does coz that's were it come from..:iamwithstupid:

Looks scarey to me. I'm a believer in a jack and jackstands.I've had ramps tip over.

DRW in 4-Low, shes not sliding, tipping, falling, rolling, moving.

I use for underneath cleaning, greasing, oil changing, (even pitches the oil back to the bung a bit)

Finding ramps that I would trust this kind of weight on would be expensive, and probably large and heavy.

I use a 12 ton bottle jack to lift any tire on this truck, my 2 1/2 ton jack barely lifts any tire off the ground and takes all my might to jack it up. Now, that is scary.

I haven't seen boughten ramps that could handle that kind of weight. I'd build my own. I was a welder for 20 years. I built my own engine hoist. Most boughten ones wouldn't lift high enough.

shoulda put something at the end so's ya don't go up and over the end. i have a set of custom made aluminum ramps that are 12 inches wide and it has a small little piece to stop me from going over the other side. still i worry about overshooting it. and go up in 4 low. Ed

I made my own set of ramps but for my Impala I use to have. It was to low to drive up a set of ramps so to make life easier I used 3/4 plywood the bottom was about 36 inches long and 8 inches wide. They had to be long in order to fit under the car so I could get up them. Then I kept stacking 3/4 plywood about 2 inches shorter then the last until I was about 5 inches high. just high enough to crawl under and reach my arm under there to change the oil and things.

Back