• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Changing head gaskets

floriduramax1

RV Doctor
Reaction score
My sons 84 K5 6.2 head gaskets are leaking oil (I can watch it "bubble out" between the heads and the block at the rear on each side)! Is there any thing special about doing this? I'm putting on the "J" code intake while I'm at it. Anything I should add or delete while its apart? Thanks.

The 6.2 is pretty straight forward. (Just like any GM V8)

The only issue that can be easily overlooked is the pushrods.
The pushrods in these engines have one hardened end and one thats not. The end that goes to the rocker is hard.
Many of these are marked with a copper color on the rocker end but some either are not or it wears off in time.

Be sure to mark the pushrods as you take them out. Failure to keep them oriented correctly will result in rocker and pushrod failure.

The Head bolts are a one time use. They are a torque to yield bolt (TTY)
You can get a fresh set at most parfts stores

Use Felpro head gaskets on these engines.

Mark your Injector lines as you remove them and make a map of the IP orientation as you remove the lines.

The lines can be removed in pairs and replaced the same way.

Number one is LH front 1357 RH 2468

When tightening the rockers back down, do so easily to be sure nothing (Valves) hits and then if ok slowy roll the engine through a few times by "Hand" to be sure all is well.

Best

MGW

The 6.2 is pretty straight forward. (Just like any GM V8)

The only issue that can be easily overlooked is the pushrods.
The pushrods in these engines have one hardened end and one thats not. The end that goes to the rocker is hard.
Many of these are marked with a copper color on the rocker end but some either are not or it wears off in time.

Be sure to mark the pushrods as you take them out. Failure to keep them oriented correctly will result in rocker and pushrod failure.

The Head bolts are a one time use. They are a torque to yield bolt (TTY)
You can get a fresh set at most parfts stores

Use Felpro head gaskets on these engines.

Mark your Injector lines as you remove them and make a map of the IP orientation as you remove the lines.

The lines can be removed in pairs and replaced the same way.

Number one is LH front 1357 RH 2468

When tightening the rockers back down, do so easily to be sure nothing (Valves) hits and then if ok slowy roll the engine through a few times by "Hand" to be sure all is well.

Best

MGW
Thanks alot! Do the valves tighten like Ford or adjust like SBC?

The rockers are on a shaft so there is no adjustment , just do like Robyn said and tighten the shaft bolts down slow and use a breaker bar to rotate the crankshaft by hand slowly to make sure everything is happy.

Back