• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Change or not change-fluid that is

BigBlueChevy

Compression Ignition Addict
Reaction score
Stupid me I've kept holding off on changing my tranny fluid like I know i should. I bought my truck with 53,000 on the clock. Being originally used by the Air Force I knew they took care of it... Mainteneance wise at least:rolleyes5:

I'm concerned with changing my fluid. Reason being, the truck has 75,000 now and the last thing I need it to grenade the tranny cause I blew the seals. The fluid looks extremly clean from the dipstick and still runs a clean red color so they must have changed it at one point or another, but let me know what you guys think. Should I change it? Also, Wrecker if you could lend me a hand on what fluid I should use and how much?(Amsoil) Should I do a full flush or only the pan?

I'm so lost:confused: Help lol

I would change it since it isnt burnt up yet and its not very high miles. Drop the pan and change the filter. I would NOT flush it. just my 2cents :)

Right. So DON'T flush the tranny. I can do that. Guess I'm gonna stop at Pepboys on the way home and see if they have some AFT fluid and a filter for my tranny.

That and finally get my tranny temp gauge hooked up.

Just nervous about it. Its not much harder than an oil change I imagine, but I watched a friend of mine change the tranny fluid in his car and literally a week later the tranny grenaded on him right in the middle of the road. Probubly one of the reasons I don't want to change it...

Stupid question, but should I re-use the oil thats in the pan? Or should I get new stuff?

No dont re-use anything that comes out, put in new. If you dont have a drain plug, might be worth the bouple dollors to throw one in the pan so it is easier in future changes.

Suprisingly, it already has one. Must have come factory since theres an indent where the allen head bolt is. Though if not the AF did a damn good job a making it look factory.

Alright, well the only other question I can think of is what kind of fluid should I pick up? Last time I was there I was looking at tranny fluid oil and there was uite a bit to choose from...

Alright well wish me luck. Thanks for the help guys. Dont think I've asked that many noobish questions like that at once in quite a while lol

Do not stress on a trans filter change! :thumbsup:

If you can do all that beautiful work on the new axle for the front end a trans fluid change is a cake walk.

Deere is correct, do not reuse anything but the trans pan, trans bolts, and drain plug.

Put new fluid, filter, and gasket in.

Have a lot of rags handy! ):h It can be messy.

I agree, just drop the pan, install a new filter/gasket and fill her back up. There should be a magnet attached to the inside of the pan, if your drain plug isnt magnetic, be sure to clean that off before putting the pan back.

hahaha Thanks for the support guys. I dropped by pepboys on the way home and picked up the stuff I needed. Got my filter for the tranny and the fluid. Factory apparently calls for Dextron VI for use in the 4l8oe. At least, thats what the guy said for mine. Got the last couple bottoles on the shelf too lol

In reguards to DieselCash- Sad isn't it? I can fully rebuild an entire 30 year old axle myself with no past experiance to go under my truck in replacement for the IFS... but I'm concerned about changing the fluid on my tranny. oh the irony of it all.

How many quarts did you pick up? I dont remember how many you need but I always get a couple gallons..

I'm pretty sure DEXIII was the original but VI is backward compatible (much more $ though) so you're good to go.

Dex VI is fine, it's a better fluid anyways.

The reason transmissions grenade after fluid changes mostly is because that cruddy fluid has so much clutch material, etc in it that it's all that is holding the transmission together. If a transmission goes, it was destined to go, the fluid change might just make it come sooner.

If you're worried, add a bottle of Lucas TransFix. My Bonneville had gray tranny fluid when i bought it, and I did a pan drop, filter, and added TransFix and it lasted another 6k, then dropped reverse. It got rebuilt, and now is great, and the fluid will be changed in 4k, at 15k miles, then every 30k after that.

Stupid me I've kept holding off on changing my tranny fluid like I know i should. I bought my truck with 53,000 on the clock. Being originally used by the Air Force I knew they took care of it... Mainteneance wise at least:rolleyes5:

I'm concerned with changing my fluid. Reason being, the truck has 75,000 now and the last thing I need it to grenade the tranny cause I blew the seals. The fluid looks extremly clean from the dipstick and still runs a clean red color so they must have changed it at one point or another, but let me know what you guys think. Should I change it? Also, Wrecker if you could lend me a hand on what fluid I should use and how much?(Amsoil) Should I do a full flush or only the pan?

draining just the pan drains only 1/2 the fluid,you,r better of to drain the pan,refill,go for a drive,drain again,refill,drive,drain and drop pan,replace the filter ,fill up and you'r good to go.

Flushing is not recommended as the crud in the cooler and valve block could be dislodged and plug the little filters present in the valve block and solenoids and cause sticking spools and plug pin holes as well.
It wont however not cause the tranny to explode:smile5:

I am rebuilding a 4L80 at the moment, so i know now how they're put together.Notting mistical about them:nonod:
Altough i admit it looked a little scary at first, tearing in to it without a manual.

Sorry, I just saw this thread. I'd recommend Amsoil ATF (Dex III compatible, not VI). My spreadsheet shows 7.8qts for initial fill and 13.6qts for total fill of a 4L80-E.

To flush or not to flush? I'm not a transmission expert, so I'm going to stay in my lane (cop out?) and say I don't have an opinion. Some people swear by them and others say no way. I don't have hard evidence on whether/when they become good or bad.

Thanks for all the info guys. I did the change this weekened and all turned out well. I also added Lucas Stop slip to keep everything running smooth. I'm a fan of there products and they have yet to let me down yet so I added some of there stuff.

Also finally drilled and tapped the pan for my temp sensor. Though its not working right now... But theres another thread up right now for that one. Seriously guys, thanks for all the help, made everything alot easier.

Though I have to say, whoever put the drain plug in last toqued it down way more than I could apply. Ended up have to drop the pan with all the fluid still in it. What a mess my driveway is right now :eek:

Back