• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

CDR\turbo + CAC messes

gmctd

Diesels, Anonymous
Reaction score
Good news - Ford has just approved the Provent CCV system for dealer-install on their Diesel pickups, which means it has been certified by EPA

The Provent system is a crankcase ventilation filter that removes most of the oil from blowby gasses, allowing very dry gasses into the intake system, very necessary where a charge-air cooler is also installed - designed by Mann in Germany, it has been used aftermarket on the VW TDI and other turbocharged Diesel engines in Europe and America to keep the intake system from sludging up from EGR applications, or just to keep the oil out of the cac and intake system - commonly in use on the VW TDI, it is also being used on the Jeep Diesels for the same purpose - no reason you guys couldn't install the system on the 6.5TD systems to clean up your intakes

Insert it between the CDR and the turbo inlet, then plumb the drain back into the crankcase, and you'll lose very little oil between changes - some put a closed drain with specific drain intervals - others leave the drain open, so their vehicle can mark it's territory - usually sells for ~145bucks here, and Racor has similar systems - some have even kludged up their own version outta PVC piping and 3M mesh to save bucks

Search Mann-Provent for more info

Shown is a preliminary Jeep install with clear tubing to prove operational efficiency - the upper hose should turn black from raw blowby, the lower hose should remain clear, and does so - the drain is plumbed into the block above the oilpan
CRDA035.jpg

and here is the final version with short clear section in the lower return tube for observation
CRDA052.jpg

Last edited:
So basicly if we have an intercooler this would keep all the "blowby" oil and crap from entering the intake and prevent filling the ic with oil? And is this a replacement for the cdr?

Correct, and no, not a substitute - it works with the CDR to pass blowby vapors into the intake, where the CDR is necessary to prevent pulling raw oil outta the valve-cover during high Boost levels, when the turbo is greatly reducing Barometric pressure at the compressor inlet (hi vacuum)

Last edited:
I just finnished installing one of these things on my rebuild 6.5,I planned to post an article on this in the next couple of day's as soon as i can figure out how to post the pics.

Good idea - what's with the 506 block with two-bolt mains?
Thanks for asking that GMTD, this block has 2 main bolts on the 3 center webs only, i am working [as limited time allows] on building a full girdle, incorporating all 5 main caps. The plan is to try to get as many HP out of this block as possible without having to worry about cracking the webs,and stiffening the block at the same time. I started this project a year ago,before navistar came out with the same aproach. :wtf:

Guy over on the Page did that full mains girdle on a 6.5 4-5yrs ago - everything on that engine was CNC-milled - wound up selling it later

I know about that one,he made it out of aluminum, he still used the original main caps . Mine is gonna be a 1 piece cast iron block .

Ah - it still may be problematical unless you can go to a higher-alloy block, due to the tremendous under-cutting of the mains-webbing due to the short block-length - woulda worked better in a non-Diesel app where that other-fueled engine (you know!) does not generate so much stress in all three planes - be interesting to compare bore-depth and finishing operations in surviving blocks vs failed blocks - I'm thinking it's due to the depth of the boring operations, where one machinist set the depth-stop short vs another that set the stop deeper - A block survives, B block craters

My line of thinking is this, eliminating the outer web bolt holes on the center 3 caps has got to make the web stronger than the itti bitti wider webs on the later blocks.And bolting the { girdle} to the panrail with thicker bolts should keep the friggin thing stiffer than a bolder. I ain't an engineer, but i do know how to improve and modify . I have extensive experience in that field.
I agree on the undercutting of the webbing,not much i can do about that

Back