• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Cat 416 Backhoe won't start

fitzdeb

Reaction score
I'm using a Cat 416 Backhoe. It ran great for about a week and then the rain and cooler temps came and now it won't start. I thought I might bleed the fuel line but can't find the bleeder screw on the fuel pump. Does anybody have advice for regarding this situation.

Mine would start fine in warm weather but when it got colder it would fire and then die. Had to use a touch of ether to get it started. I tightened the fittings on the fuel lines and so far so good.

As long as it doesn't have any kind of starting aid already installed(glow plugs, grid heater), give it a sniff of either Starter fluid or a rag soaked in gasoline over the intake. Just don't go ballistic with it. That outa get it going enough to build enough compression and heat.

Does it have a block heater? If your using it daily or its a machine you rely on often you may want to consider plugging it in or using one of those "engine blankets"

There are also magnetic heaters that attach to the oil pan that work somewhat. They take more time to use but the power draw is alot less, great for heating things up overnight till you need to use it.

Where are you and how cold is it ? It should start fine without that. The vent on the fuel cap can get clogged on those and creates a vaccuum in the tank and when the machine sits overnight it pulls the fuel back ino the tank. Had that with a few John Deere's.

Back