• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Can't win, engine now won't shut off?

turbovanman

I has boost, :O)
Reaction score
I made triple sure the IP cover was put on correctly and even powered it up so it went in easier but the engine won't shut off, I've even unplugged the wire and the idle drops and gets rougher but still runs, I pinch off the fuel line and it stops running? What do I look for?

Sounds like something's sticking.

I'd pull the cap off and make sure the shut off solenoid is working fully and not sticking.

Just had it off, compared pumps, etc, all seems good so I pulled the solenoid arm out a bit to put more load on it, I could have tweaked it when I first put it on wrong.

That worked, now the f*cking thing won't rev up, I push the pedal down and it gets to around 1500 rpm and that's it, no more, :mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2:

That worked, now the f*cking thing won't rev up, I push the pedal down and it gets to around 1500 rpm and that's it, no more, :mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2:

Sounds like the metering valve is sticking or jamming. Do the solenoid caps look the same?

Take the cap off and put power to the terminal and ground to the cap itself. See if the solenoid works properly. I wouldn't leave the solenoid on too long, just in case it's cooled by the diesel fuel it sits in when the pump is all bolted up.

Sounds like the metering valve is sticking or jamming. Do the solenoid caps look the same?

Take the cap off and put power to the terminal and ground to the cap itself. See if the solenoid works properly. I wouldn't leave the solenoid on too long, just in case it's cooled by the diesel fuel it sits in when the pump is all bolted up.

I compared caps etc, all is the same except the 24 volt solenoids are bigger, for obvious reason's.

I had power applied to it to check it and when installed it first as I thought it would be easier.

Which part of the pump isn't letting it rev up?

Should have just bought a friggin new one, :mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2:

I guess it boiled down to me not installing the cover the first time and I bent the solenoid arm without knowing it. After asking here, I removed the cover and reinstalled it as I didn't want a runaway engine. I then bent the arm so it would shut off but I went too far as I guess it locked the rack mechanism. After sleeping on it last night in anger, I came back to work and got the old pump and 24 volt cover and put the arm at the activated spot and made a mark on the pump housing, then got my 12 volt and compared, 1/8" out, so I rebent it, reinstalled and it shuts off and rev's up.

Just finished reinstalling everything and putting on a 6.5 round fuel filter housing right now, just have to cut and splice some wires, mucho neater now, :thumbsup:

Back