• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Can I make my 2500 a 3500?

I remember reading on the other site, where a member said that he had his GM dealer install the 3500SRW overload springs on to his 2500HD and the dealer changed the sticker on the door to reflect the same load ratings as for a 3500SRW.

You might want to ask your dealer if they would do that.

Other than tires and wheels, the rear springs are the only difference I've been able to find.

To the core difference the 2500HD/3500HD single wheel truck have some frame difference for more load and they have different spring packs. On the air bags most will hold 5000lbs and they say don't exceed truck gvw because they don't want people thinking bags will make there truck into a 1ton.

I kinda read over the thread but maybe missed this but what are you looking to tow/haul? Problems you are having currently you are looking to fix?

Thanks for the reply Nick...

I do not have anything I need to fix. I am well within my weights pulling my bumper pull RV trailer. I do have the Ride Rite bags and understand the part about the extra 5000 pound capacity. I don't know if having bags is enough to try a recertification for heavier loads (door sticker)?
I am led to believe no.

I am more curious than anything on what it would take to up my carrying capacity legally if in the event I am able to upgrade to a fifth wheel at some point. I know many 3/4 ton are over weight with the 5'ers and many are very close even with the one tons.
It's just that on the RV forums they always get into these pissing matches saying you can't do it. I have heard that you can and I want to get to the bottom of it...if it's a matter of just add on springs, I may try it just to see what it takes for recertification.

Really to do it you should upgrade the truck because you will not that I know of be able to get the door tag changed and that's what counts. I may be wrong on this but that's what I had known.

In some states its as easy as getting an inspection and paying for the heavier registration. The biggest thing you need to watch for is tire capacity. I have found the Nitto's to have a capacity of 3750 in single wheel, That would give you a rear axle cap at 7500 lbs. This is still well under the axle capacity. Most of the time the weight police will be using your tires as your max load capacity. With this I would think you could go to your local DMV and get recertifird for more weight. We do it with semi's all the time.

I went to the local spring shop - Kankakee Spring and took their advice on how to stiffen up the 1989 C2500 about 1992 or so. Their price was reasonable enough, it definitely was not worth me messing with it.

I never regretted having it done. That truck loaded with tools weighed about 8900 the vast majority of its miles.

Back