• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Can I get a decent MIG welder for under $500

whatnot

Reaction score
What is the best MIG welder I can get in the $500 price range? I don't mind buying used if I can get something better for the same price. What should I be looking for?
I have been using my brother's Lincoln weldpak 100. I want to get something better and that is setup for gas instead of just flux core.

Tractor Supply Co. has the Hobart Handler 140 for $399. In my opinion its a really good welder for the price.

for new youll need to go with hobart, if you can pick up a used miller 251 or 210 that would be good too. the 251 will weld anything from sheetmetal to inch plate but requires 220v, the 210 is the same size but cant weld half of what the 251 can, however it can run on either 110 or 220

I think you would be disappointed with anything made for 110 v only. At some point you'll want to do something serious and a 110 welder just won't be quite enough. Don't ask me how I know that...

I am not is a hurry so I will probably watch craigslist and hope something turns up. Now I have an idea what to watch for. I doubt I will be able to afford a Miller though. I looked up those models and it looks like used ones go for $1500+

How do the Miller 22A wire feeders work? Can you just connect it to a regular stick welder or do you need a power box that is made just for it? We have a Lincoln 225A stick welder (I think it is less amps on DC though). Is there any chance it could be run off it? If it would work, would that be a better setup than a stand alone mig welder? I saw a 22A on ebay at $475.

I think I decided that I want a semi-portable unit. It looks like around 180 amp is probably the biggest in my price range. (used value)
From what I have seen, Miller seems to be the best brand. Is Hobart next best? How does Lincoln compare? Are there any other brands I should be looking at?

Lincoln and Miller are both top notch. sometimes one is better than the other but they are both your two top brands. ESAB is up there but not many are around here since Miller is out of Appleton.

For a budget welder Hobart is good, but not near the quality of a miller.

On the outside the hobarts are made overseas(i believe) and dont have as many fancy features. However they do still hold up well.

What reall matters is weld quality. Now a lot of people on here arent professional welders. Thats the main reason i talked my dad into purchasing a millermatic 252. It has the smoothest arc out of any welder Ive used. I will admit the Lincolns was a little nicer, but also $1,000 more.

There is a new miller that is like a 180 or something and is fairly portable plus it only has one dial making it easy to set up.

I just picked up a Miller Cricket off Craigslist for $75 so I am looking for a big one now. I will probably hold out for at least a 200 amp unit. I think this will work out much better since I can use this for anything portable I need to do. And I won't have to deal with either hauling tanks or removing them and switching over to flux core if I want to use it somewhere else.

I'd look on craigslist. Look for an older one. I have my Dad's old Hobart beta-mig 250. It's old, beat up and full of grease, oil, and sand. And it welds like a champ. The funny thing is, this old ugly dinosaur is not finicky about what you weld. Try some of these newer welders and you have to clean everything. You have to clean where you weld, where you clamp, can't weld rusty metal etc. With this thing, just hook up the clamp and weld. Sure, it will weld better if you do things right, but you still get respectable welds where some of these newer welders would just pust wire out or blow holes in the metal.

esab makes good stuff however i have no personal experince with them so i cant tell u if that one is good or not

I should have called instead of emailing. I asked what condition it was in and what the model was. He replied back that it was new/never used and it was an MM250 (I assume that it the Migmaster 250) I replied back asking when I could look at it. His next reply said it was sold.:mad: If it wasn't almost 2 hours away I would have gone as soon as I saw it. I should have anyway I guess.
So I am still looking.

I found a used esab mm250 on craigslist that I got. It was $750 but I guess that isn't bad considering they are around $2400 new at Fastenal. It included a Miller auto darkening helmet and a bunch of spare parts.
Now I need to find a tank for it. How long will one of those little ones last?

Just head over to springfield welding. I think they are on a tank exchange program with badger. otherwise McFarlanes is too.

You pay for a tank of gas, then when empty give the empty back and pay for a full one. Its a win win situation and you never have to buy a tank.

I would get a taller one but cant remember the spec of it off hand. 75/25 mix will make it easier to produce good welds. If you really need to burn in some thick plate, straight CO2 works better.

Springfield welding uses Airgas. I guess it I need to decide if I want to buy a tank or lease. a 5 year lease from Badger is $107 or $216 to buy a 130 cubic foot and $25 to fill. ($30 through McFarlanes)
Airgas is $156 for a 5 year lease or $240 to buy a 125 cubic foot and $43 to fill. (I forgot to write down the airgas prices so it might be off a little)

Well looks to me like your Decision is made. Airgas is more money but closer to where you live. However CO2 is CO2 nd Argon is Argon. And if you plan to weld for more than 5 years. Buying is the way to go.

We switched from Airgas i think because of the cost. And when we got our new welder from badger we just bought a tank.

Back