• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

caliper bleeding problem

Detroit Dan

Reaction score
right rear caliper went on wifes 04 Avalanche 1500. After runaround getting right parts, finally got a good one and replaced it. Did pads on both sides. It sat for a day and the brake hose fell down and gravity bled out. So I spent easily an hour trying to bleed the air out, got air, a little fluid, but simply cannot get it to bleed out right. I'm not even using hardly any fluid out of the reservoir. What am I doing wrong? I know everytime I've had to replace a line it takes a long time to fill that empty line up, but this is ridiculous! Is there anything else I can do? I had my wife pumping the brakes for an hour last night, I don't think I can talk her into another hour of it tonight.

Try gravity bleeding,this works pretty good for the front,if your by yourself. It will take a long time to gravity bleed the rear. Also you may have flipped the diverter valve,so you might have to bleed it at the master cyl ,to get pressure built up enough to flip it back,on most newer vehicles the diverter valve is built in the abs unit,some off these have bleeders too.

found the banjo bolt wasn't quite tight enough. I had tightened it down until I thought it was tight, but it must have ahd a dinged thread. I tightened a little more then it started turning easier and got another half turn out of it. Wasn't really leaking, but loose enough to suck air. Once I got that straightened out it took ten minutes to bleed. Now I just need to get the right rotor and pads and redo it tonight. Here's a rundown of my fun experience that took all weekend for a simple rear brake job.

Bought new caliper at Advance. Threads for banjo bolt plugged up. Took it back, other caliper in stock was worse. Searched 3 stores for right size tap, no luck.
Bought new caliper at AZ, turned in new caliper for core. AZ comes with new banjo bolt.
New rotor does not fit, apparently there are two listed, 3/16" makes a big difference.
Brake pads they gave me turned out to be for a 2wd, they work but the little tin guides are wrong and squeal incessantly. Good times!

Back